Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive decided to go with the Borla,
for those that have a second gen mx6, are there any problems or concerns as far as fitting it in the car? any other extra hardware needed on top of the kit??
i think the part number is the 14429. can anyone confirm this is the right one or the wrong one??
please help, im almost ready to buy!! and i cant wait!!

thanks all

94' MX6-LS Manual-Stock
But not for long!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I also am looking to buy a Borla, I'd like to know if you have good luck with it and what kind of price did you get. I think carparts had it (for the Probe, same 14429), for 450 or so. local mechanic offered to put it on for me for $75.

·
Registered
118 Posts
IMHOP Don't do it!

I bought a Borla cat-back from CarParts.com, but I never put it on the car. Why? When I took it out of the box I found out that the tubing is the same diameter as stock (2"). Otherwise it would have been fine. It's all stainless, mandrel bent, straight-through muffler, and the build quality is pretty good. But all my research lead me to believe that 21/2" tubing is ideal for a N/A 2.5liter KL02. So I had a muffler shop make me a mandrel bent cat-back out of 21/2" aluminized tubing and a Magnaflow straight-through muffler. It doesn't look at all ricey. Just a silver oval muffler with a 31/2" stainless tube coming straight out the back. It sounds good and there was a really obvious improvent in power. And it cost less than the Borla. (Way less than the Greddy.)

As for the Borla I had purchased, I figured that if 21/2" was best for the 2.5l, then 2" would be better for the 2.0l. So, I sold it to a 2.0l Probe owner in my club and he has been quite happy with it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
thanks...um, price?

thanks for the advice blastmaster, i'll try and verify with Borla whether the pipe is 2 1/2 or 2". I wonder if my local meineke or midas can crank out some bent mandrel tubing. Mind if I ask what it cost in total?

G

·
Borla

I had my Borla on my 1993 PGT and loved every minute of it. If you have a nice socket set and a hot torch, you can do the install yourself. I had the benefit of a compressor and impact wrentch, but it was a cake walk. Just heat up the bolts..splash some water on them and turn them off. Make sure that you support the Cat and just pull the old one off. It comes right out with a little tugging. The new one fits right in the stock hangers and goes on like cake. Just make sure that the gasket that is on the old muffler can be reused because the one that they send you with the new kit doesn't fit quite right. If not, you may have to buy a new one. Mine was fine so I just re-used it. Trust me, if you have some time and ambition, just do it yourself and save urself 75+.

As for the 2.5 being proper for the KL 03 ..not the 02....you won't notice a difference in the 2 and the 2.5. The horsepower advantage of an exhaust is basically non existant unless you have an intake anyway. SO I wouldn't waste the money.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure on the piping but I got mine 3 months ago as my first mod. It doesnt give much power but sounds and looks sweet. One note, my borla was way to the right and actually burnt the plastic on part of the fender. I took it to Midas and they bent the hangers so it was centered. It doesnt move much and is centered. Took the guy all of 3 min to do so I just gave him a $5 tip and went on my way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Borla

importspeed24v said:
The horsepower advantage of an exhaust is basically non existant unless you have an intake anyway. SO I wouldn't waste the money.
I say bull$#*%. I didn't have an intake when I got my exhaust done and the difference was very noticeable. Maybe you Borla didn't make much difference? Besides everybody who mods their car does an intake.

I forgot to mention not only was it cheaper than the Borla but it sounds a lot better too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine was $310 with shipping from carparts.com. Suprisingly, it arrived 3 days after ordering, in perfect condition. This is currently my only modification. After putting it on, I felt a slight boost when I hit the 4000rpm range. But the sound is just the best part. Nice and deep, and non ricey sounding.

But, this certainly isnt the greatest mod for the money

Intake.. ~5 hp
$150
thats $30/hp

Borla ~ 5hp
$300
$60/hp

75 shot of NOS ~ 50hp
$500
$10/hp

Now you decide

Oh yeh, and after the first month with the Borla, it will get even louder =P

·
Registered
193 Posts
piping update

fyi, I emailed [email protected] and a CHRISM got back to me saying the piping was 2.25" Oh well, sounds fine to me, he said the best price would be through Ford Performance at 770-949-7191. Anyone heard of them? Oh well, need to make a decision this week. Wifey needs new tires on her Sebring too, going to be an expensive week... :)
thanks for all the advice guys.

HR

G

·
Borla

I never said that there wasn't a difference in the feeling of your car, I just said that it does not give you any wheel horsepower according to many dynos. Some added 1-2 hp..which is decent, but never believe all the claims...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Final purchase

well guys, I had to wuss out today, my pipe snapped all the way off and stuff was bouncing around. Went to local Meineke and this is what they had available on the spot for $333 w/tax & labor. Hope I did okay.

Meineke (maremont brand) oval turbo muffler, custom pipe over axle, long pipe to cat w/resonator ($165), Y-tip on muffler (I wanted to keep dual ends) w/chrome tips. Looks okay, and sounds just like stock. It does NOT get loud at all, even at high RPM so I assume any performance gain is minimal. I guess I'm content with it. Thanks again to all for the advice. If you'd like pix email me at [email protected] I'll try and take some when it gets warmer up here.

Henry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts