Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
hopefully somebody with a better explanation can reply, but i believe it has to do with the way it allows oil to drain back out of certain places where it shouldn't drain out of

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
??

So what type should we use?
Claeren.

G

·
Julian does have a good site for information. Also note that a larger filter can also be used. i.e. from '92ish corvette , I believe integra filters as well as NSX.

G

·
Fram filters are bad because they dont use the correct filtering process. Supposedly they can not filter out all the toxins in the oil and cause damage down the road. For example it will cause the HLA's to malfunction so you get that great knocking sound even if you use synthetic. Now I could be wrong but this is what i read somewhere. Try DEUTCH
filters they seem to be ok. Ive heard good things about them. I hope that answers your ?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
also this is cheap insurance...

place magnets around the filter. your engine running makes fine metal particles that drain into your oil pan and then get thrown back up into the engine. these metal shards are so small that they get past the filter. after removing the magnetized filter for your next oil change, pull the magnets off and see what comes out....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Fram Sux

if you have a doubt, dont buy it. the best advise i was ever told. ohh yeah, u want a good filter? Mobil 1. ten bucks, but one ass kicking filter.

G

·
Filters

There had been a post awhile ago that listed the other,larger filters that fit and had the right charcteristics..I have searched..and no luck..anyone could repost the info would be greatly appreciated

G

·
I remember reading an article on the web somewhere that rated Fram's pretty low in comparison to a variety of other filters that were tested on a Probe GT. I believe the OEM Mazda brand filter was rated 2nd place...2nd only to some filter that could only be purchased in Europe or something like that.

Anyway, I use Mazda OEM filters on my MX-6 and never have had a problem with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts