Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
its the box of a rx7 turbo2. so yes rota.

i took a look at the bell and the box and as far as i can see now the box aint gonna be twisted or something likethat and will be ligned up correctly so i should be good.
i just noticed the difference in the shiftlinkage so i was kinda curious what that is all about.
where did your box came of?

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
my box was native in a 1993 12 valve 2.2l ford courier facelift ute. so it was pretty straight forward for me, hopefully rob will chime in with his findings with his bell.

be aware that the bells vary in length, my ute one is about 6mm different from the van one rob has. you need to consider input shaft length. the spline needs to be at least half way into the clutch disk, preferably all the way in, and the nose needs to be in the spigot bearing. for that, you could machine a spacer to only put the bearing half way into the crank hole, and have it hanging out half. then if the input shaft nose goes half way through that you will be ok. but only just. better to have some overlap.

fred.

·
Registered
338 Posts
yeah i understand. will mesure that!

thnx 4the info!

but didn't you tell me thet the ratios of the rx were the best and the rest sucked??

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
yeah, my gear ratios suck! the 929 box is the same as the rx too.

its commercial vs car

car >> commercial for driving fast ;-)

keep us posted, i cant wait to see what you do with it. you might even beat rob to a stock belled rx7 tranny fe3t :) that ought to motivate him! :p

fred.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Up until seconds ago, I was under the impression that the 929 shaft was longer than the rx7. But then I found this:
Manual gear box conversion - MazdaWorld.org Forums
the input shaft on the manual gearbox is shorter than the rx7 one
I've yet to attain one and see for myself, but that is NOT what I wanted to read. Looks like the 929 shaft is shorter because the bell is shorter/shallower. Ugh.

He mentions the "turbo 2.0" for a 929. Anybody know which engine that is? that might be the key to a bolt rwd trans with good ratios.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
see here Mazda Luce 1988 (used, imported, new): pics, specs, performance the 2.0 is a j v6...

the ratios are the same from 929 to rx. you could use the rotor input with the 929 rest if you felt so inclined.

i reckon it can be made to work without that though.

rotor box, the bell, and some machining and ingenuity

fred.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
new information about the weaker type 2 style gearbox as comes in the mx5/miata/na rx7/most utes/most vans etc.

standard ute 5th? gear :

standard rx7 5th? gear :

the course teeth on the rx7 make it considerably stronger and of course, the gear ratios are also a lot better. perhaps this is what aaron meant when he said the 12at box is stronger? i'm not sure which box that rx7 one is, and others may differ, but over the ute box, its a significant improvement.

if anyone has a pic of the mx5 box from the same perspective, i'd like to post it here too.

fred.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I learned something new the other day from a young guy in nz. I learned that the early style of ute came standard with the R type/type 3 5 speed box! strange considering the MA engine hanging from it couldn't pull an Auckland driver out of the wet paper bag that they seem to reside in. He allowed me to use these pics here.

one is the 1.6l miata / mx5 manual 5 speed type 2 gearbox / transmission and the other is the MA R type box like i have but much much older.

good to have a record of that. i have no idea what the ratios are.

fred.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i have the last box in my '79 hardtop coupe ( ma engine) but with a different bell. so if im correct that last box is mx5. that bell looks a lot like a fe bell but if im correct the mx5 bell wont fit the fe blok..

im confused. im looking for a bell like the one in the last pic. fe style to fit my oldie with a fe engine instead of that old ma

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
neither of the two boxs pictured fit the fe/f2 engines. one is for b6/bp the other for ma.

if you have the last box, you have the weaker type2 box with an ma bell. you can get a bell for that from pretty much any ordinary truck from about 86 - 93 or so, maybe outside that range. excluding any 2.6 trucks.

fred.

·
Registered
145 Posts
neither of the two boxs pictured fit the fe/f2 engines. one is for b6/bp the other for ma.

if you have the last box, you have the weaker type2 box with an ma bell. you can get a bell for that from pretty much any ordinary truck from about 86 - 93 or so, maybe outside that range. excluding any 2.6 trucks.

fred.
That last box, same type as my 929 FE gbox (except for the shifter...). That bell is weird tho, doesn't look like a MA one at all. I have an MA Cosmo sitting on my back lawn and I'm 95% sure its not an MA bell - starter is on wrong side. Plus, I have only seen smooth bells on MA's.

Don't underestimate the MA's, they are fucking torquey and in Japan came with multipoint injection making over 100ps.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Yeah...I had an MA in a 808! worked well in an 810kg car.

I was just looking around for the workshop manual to pos the gear ratios...but I must have sold it at some stage....

Though I do remember it seemed to be a little bit high geared...except for 5th which was about .860 if I remeber (626 RWD box) But I suppose the MA had peak torque at 2500Rpm....high gearing worked ok in practice.

It had roughly the same 2/3/4 ratios as the RX7 ser 1 & II as I rememeber...the Rx had a much lower 1st (3.674/2.217/1.432/1/.825 for the RX)

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
That last box, same type as my 929 FE gbox (except for the shifter...). That bell is weird tho, doesn't look like a MA one at all. I have an MA Cosmo sitting on my back lawn and I'm 95% sure its not an MA bell - starter is on wrong side. Plus, I have only seen smooth bells on MA's.
once again, the last box is from an NA mx5 with a B6 engine, its not for an MA at all. the second to last box IS for an MA as found in the early b series. at least, thats what he tells me the motor is. certainly not F or B anyway.

Don't underestimate the MA's, they are [fizzle]ing torquey and in Japan came with multipoint injection making over 100ps.
torque is a function of displacement and flow. you are pretty much stuck with 100nm per litre no matter who you are. if you are a crappy 8 valve mazda design, you might end up with 90nm per litre, and if you are an s2000 you might end up with 115nm per litre. but torque is pretty much a displacement thing. as for power, the fe 8 valve with injection (is that what you have/had?) made about 92ps anyway. besides, 75ps/ litre is a bare minimum really, there are reasons why i binned my sohc motor (literally. tried to sell it, but didnt sell in time, and while i was on the plane here, it got dumped with a decent box on it too) in favour of the dohc engine, and theres a reason that this guy is dumping the MA for a 1.6 litre twincam. the small engine makes more power :)

no sohc or pushrod engine has any home in anything of mine ever again, except my aircooled beetles, but they are different :)

fred.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey fred, heres some pics of the shifter on the FD tranny that i had for abit. it pretty funny that the shifter and the cover plate are exactly the same dimentions and fit in either spot. some machining and moving just on the main shift shaft and you can swap the shifter to the front position which is perfect for the truck location.:D

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I thought this was in here, but it wasn't and I couldn't find it... so :

:: Project Zero G :: - Transmissions

keywords : 4g63 4g64 starion conquest b2600 mitsi mitsubishi bell housing gearbox tranny trans 4g65

Fred.

·
Registered
338 Posts
hi

im also messing around with rwd gearboxes. have a 1979 626 hardtop coupe in wich i want to fit a fe3. i already have the rx7 turbo2 box and fe bell and a complete rx7n/a for the rest of the drive line but i first want to try the stock box (ma engine) i bought a kia besta gearbox ( badged e2200) and pulled both apart. the tail shaft of he besta box dont fit the 626 axle to the diff ( dunno the oficial name of that axle) the besta bell (wich is also part of the gearbox casing) fits the 626 box. but there are 2 problems. the primary shaft doesnt reach the crank bearing. im going to order a new longer bearing for that. the splines of the clutch are in for 99% so that would be enough.
second problem is thet the primary shaft of the 626 box is sooooooo tin and tiny. the besta one is mucht thicker.
well see how it will hold out

pix:

so the one with the big input shaft is the besta (e2200) one and the other one is the stock one of my 626 with the 2.0 m/a engine

101 - 120 of 126 Posts