Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I wake up early on Sunday morning and head out to the junkyard determined to practice removing the valve cover and rocker/HLA's out of every dead probe and 6 that I can get my inexperienced hands on as I can no longer tolerate the "sewing machine" tap that is now pissed me off to the point of no return.....so, as i hone my skills on the junkers and find a few HLA's that "seem" OK (remember,I have never seen one before) I decide to go to my local Autozone to compare my junker freebies to brand spanking new HLA's (my concern with the junker HLA's is that I am not sure if they should compress as easily with my thunb) Autozone is a mad house (all counter lines are atleast 5-6 customers deep) I finally get to the counter and ask for hydraulic lash adjusters and state that someone online said you stock them......"huh?...uuh, i have to ask my mgr....." Baby Huey returns and states that nope, dont have them plus, the computers are not communicating w/satelite and there is no way to check on-line and this is why the store is a mad house....I insist that they do in fact stock them and he proceeds to throw me the keyboard and basically says "knock yourself out" I gladly take the keyboard from the oaf and darn it, wouldnt you know that after 10 minutes of manuvering around in their mainframe, I find it (listed under Lifters....genius,huh?) So Bubba goes to the back and brings me a box of new lifters (4) and rewards me for my insistance and persaverance by saying "they're yours, take 'em home"

Was it the fact that he felt like a dork since I, Mr. Zero car mechanical aptitiude, found them in the computer...or was it that he, along with everyone else in the store, was pissed at the long lines/short tempered employees/nonfunctioning computer&register/etc.....I dont know, all I know is that I walked out with 4 new HLA's (the thought of asking for 2 more boxes did cross my mind for a second but I thought, nah, just be thankful and leave b4 this guy gets a clue.......now, on to operating on my baby this weekend, wish me luck everyone and thanks to the guys who have sent me PM's with HLA advice/tips/pics/torque specs......I may have a question or two.....thank you mx6.com and it's fine members....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
good to hear man, your very luckly. MY local Mazda stealearship wants $38 a peice!!. yeah right:rolleyes:

Methman

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hey as long as we are the subject of HLA's and people that know what they are are probably reading the thread, i just wanted to ask a question.

I had to pull my valve cover today, so i cleaned out my HLA's and the oil passages, they seemed to be in great condition, the passages were tottaly clean.

my question is people are saying stuff like "my HLA's are hard to press in" mine were extremely hard to press in, but later i noticed the little ball bearing on them and i pushed it in with a needle while pressing the HLA, now is this normal? or is it supposed to work without me pressing that. thanks i'm pretty sure everything is good but just wanna find out more cuz i never seen anyone writing a thing about the little ball, or maybe never looked hard enough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay, i think i can answer this one....

i've been reading up as much as i can on this site b4 i tackle this job........if i remember correctly, you are supposed to use a needle on the "bottom" and depress the "top" of the HLA while submerged in fresh oil before reinserting into the rocker arm cavity.......this of course after you clean the snot out of 'em......right guys?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
cool thanks for the info, that is exactly what i did, i even soaked the **** out of them using some engine oil flush(basically an oil thinner). First filled them up with the engine flush, then i filled them with fresh engine oil. let you guys know tommorow how the car sounds after the 24 hour set period of the sealant.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
???

i have not bought my RTV sealant just yet......any one will do right??? and it needs 24 hours to cure?? I didnt think it would take that long.....hmm.....thanks for the heads up....

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
the guy recommended the black rtv sealant, and according the the package on most of those it says 1hour to dry, 24 hours at room temperture to cure and longer in cold weather.

you may be able to get away with less dry time, but i've been leaking from my valve cover a lot of times now so i'm playing it safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts