Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment i am at my sisters house and i am on my laptop.

I thought i would do a scan and see what sort of wireless activity is about.

I have managed to log into one of the neighbours Wireless G access points.
Have to say that the connection is quick.

So i just thought i would say. If you haven't got you wireless points secured. Then this is a good reason too.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
how would you secure them?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
WEP is how :)

Wireless routers let you use WEP encryption so you need a password to access the network.

I have wifi in my carputer and i use netstumbler with my GPS to give me exact locations of where open wifi points are and if they are protected.

But instead of stealing free internet do what i do and use it free ;)

when i wanna check the net i go to a melbourne wireless AP point

check out www.melbournewireless.org.au

What it does is people around melbounre use pringle cans to BOOST the wifi signal so it can be accessed to like 1mile and used so there is a network in each suburb

People do this for free and some have internet access some just file sharing if you check out the website you will see it gives you the IP address of www and a few other things like CS servers etc.

These are sometimes interlinked but it's very easy to access (no password)

I have these set on my car pc and all i do is just click wifi then hit the closest point and the pc will tell me were to go then i can drive to access the internet :)

It's free and i don't have to worry about cops etc.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
we leave our wifi spot open just for this. we don't really do anything online that needs serious bandwidth so whatever. ppl should leave their wifi open and let internet be free.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which is fair enough Fuji.
But if they are on a limited plan, then its easy to add a few hundred dollars to someones internet bill.

BTW, mine is cable and open...........but only because its unlimited and i am surrounded by old ppl that dont even know what the web is.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Having open Wifi is dangerous cause war driving happens alot in melbourne and i'm probably worse cause i've got a touchscreen in the dash so i wouldn't look out of place if i was war driving.

That's still the case with Wi-Fi but if a criminal taps into a network, his actions would lead to the owner of that network. By the time authorities show up to investigate, the hacker would be gone.
It does happen alot more than you think

But still free wifi is nice :) but getting onto a network thats not protected is the same as getting in a car thats open with the keys inside it.

Thats why i use melbournewireless.org.au wifi points thats what there made for :)

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
believe me, my computer is protected. it's not like i'm not running two firewalls. ppl can get on my wifi, they're not (w/o some serious work and effort) getting into my computer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts