Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1003 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I think my exhaust sounds pretty good, right now, I have dual aero exhaust resonators mandrel bent 90's 2.5" piping from the header back and a dtm dual slant cut 3" tipped muffler. The only thing is change is the muffler and only becuase I don't like the look, but it functions and that's all I'm worried about right now. There's a video in this thread and the exhaust sound thread as well of mine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I dig the squeeky blow off valve xD j/k. Maybe it's just me kinda hard to hear it i'm sure in person it sounds better. I need to put a resonator back on mine, I cut everything including the cat off mine for the exhaust. Mine between 1200-3g has a hiss noise cause I forgot a bolt since the manifold didn't line up properly.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
My head arrived today, looking a little dry and missing cam gears but otherwise complete.... Ordered a 2.5" elbow for my intake that should be here in a few weeks. Looking to jeep the air restricted post maf since I have 3" pipe pre and post maf. I have never worked on internals before so this is exciting for me and a good move towards... As the kids say, MOAR POWER!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Finally moved into my new place. School is going to inhibit most the work I wanna get done. I ordered an intake manifold Gasket, a header Gasket and a camshaft seal.

Gonna do the camshaft swap in a few weeks and we'll see if the ass dump feels any gains. The exhaust cam has a higher lift, a little bit shorter run from open to close a 54 to 8 vs 50 to 8, a bit longer duration 190 vs 189 and the best part a 16* overlap.

Still trying to get that intake coupler on it won't stretch onto the maf but fits the throttle body perfectly. Keeping the air at a constant velocity post maf according to a friend should help fuel atomization and ultimately performance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Apoarently its a gain.... I haven't done it but was told by a probe guy "it raps quickly and sounds like a drag car at idle..." Decrypting that make its sound like itll rev quicker meaning more low end torque and rumbled a little bit at idle. I think that is due to the 16* overlap. I haven't tried it but considering the corksport exhaust cam is 180 and the fsze intake cam is 259, I was thinking if trying it since ill have 4 cams between the two heads ill have. I would guess about 5- 8whp.... But there aren't very many people who do anything to this car so there isn't a whole lot of evidence other than guestimates and cam specs to go off of.
definitely gonna have to keep me updated with this, i really want to find stuff to do to my FS without dumping a few grand for a rigged up turbo kit.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Can do...

...we'll see if the ass dump feels any gains.
Forgot I need a friggin torque wrench to this, so gotta order one of those pushing this back a little further, and the above should say " ...if the ass dyno feels any gains", I may end up doing a dyno run just to see where I'm at post cam. Oh and I got that Damn coupler on had to stretch it out by puttng the handles of screwdrivers in it to stretch to fit on the maf which is bigger than the tb on the I4. About 1/8 or 3/16 bigger.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
This is gonna suck with a makita drill and this bit. I may get the right tools in the next week. Just couldn't wait to get started

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Opened all the way up. Still have to smooth the transition but you get the idea. This opened it up by about 30%. The three photos in order are a close up of the opening, a close up of the begining and a comparison of two next to eachother. I do want a little bit of hourglass shape but not as much as I have.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yep all on my own. I have verbal guidance from a few old timers and some reading online, but its the first internal work I've ever done.. thank you. I'll pm you a link to some of the reading I've done if you want.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Intake side is 90% done. I am thinking I'm gonna get a p5 intake manifold and outlaw spacers to run with this head. Gonna send this out to be hot tanked and cleaned then probably paint it black and get it ready for install before winters over!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Scored a 2.5" aero exhaust muffler today. Brand new never used or installed with paperwork for $40! Can't wait to get that welded on in a few weeks. It's straight through... Finally ill have a full aero system

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
A few extra pics of the head work I've Been doing and a pic pic my knew muffler.in case you've never seen why a aero exhaust is suo different from the rest.... I'm glad I pulled the valves since know I can see how bad the bowls are and how bad the forming marks can be.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thanks. I'm gonna try and have this ready to roll for spring. Luckily for me I now have a garage and since school will be out in a few weeks I plan on having the grinding done by january and then tanked and a valve job by the end of january. I think i need to run different retainers (Rather than stock) if i run the eibach dual valve springs so I probably wont do that at this moment in time. I'm also gonna get a p5 intake manifold and run my vris solenoids on it to activate the butterflies then port and polish that. Between the head and the intake manifold this thing should breath really well. My only hope is that when I mash it from a start it doesnt drop on its face from a lack of low end torque. I know high end with this set up should be pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Well I haven't done a lot yet ! Lol but thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
So I'm gonna stop saying almost done. But this is pretty close.... three more on the intake side then onto the exhaust

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I just scored an authentic fsze intake manifold off of eBay minus the fuel rail and tb for $17.50 Shipped! Now that's my kind of deal.

61 - 80 of 1003 Posts