Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1003 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've always said that the biggest thing that holds the power back on the FS is the Intake manifold, cams, pistons and rods. Get rid of those 4 and you'll make some power. Get a set of 11:5 pistons with a custom set of cams and make your short runner intake manifold and you will be making better power than the KLZE.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Still got some cleaning to do on this set of bowls but most the burrs are gone and I've opened up the channels to flow a little smoother by making the channels a little more smooth.... I feel like I'm getting way better and maybe even getting a little faster. If I can only figure out how to remove all that build up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Got all the material out of the exhaust ports. Now on to smoothing the rough spots and polishing the exhaust side and making it look pretty. Can't wait for my fsze intake to arrive.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I was told by the guy helping me with this that the intake side is done and the exhaust is pretty close aside from "polishing". He said don't worry about the rough look in the intake port.
He told me then to work on the combustion chamber by removing the step you can see and smoothing it then putting a small radius on the spark plug hole and making the valve seats flush with the top of the chamber. I may not do the latter because I sure don't wanna mess up the valve seats and be shit out of luck on all this work.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
No manifold for me. I got banned from the seller pending an eBay investigation of me apparently violating rules. I don't know what I did wrong. Anyways gonna get intake and tb spacers around Christmas and possibly a 98+ 626 manifold instead port that and start on reassembly. Need to get the head decked .010" and a valve job. I did get it cleaned although my dishwasher was a bitch to clean and sanitize after! Don't do that... lol

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Picking up a stock 93 intake to port tomorrow. Gotta start looking into getting a now fuel pump. Price soit a valve job and head resurface and looking between $180 Andy $280 to get done. Then $120 for a head gasket kit and $80 for a cosmetic head gasket. So close to getting in. I'm gonna also get intake and tb spacers for Christmas from jayracing or outlaw engineering. Next week I'm also putting in the exhaust cam on the intake side.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Picked this up for $35 with iac, tb, fpr fuel rail and injectors! Looks like I get to start porting again!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I'm gonna do the egr block off on this manifold. It looks like the egr is a huge contributed to gumming things up. It'll keep my engine cleaner and since I don't have emissions here I don't think I'll have to worry. One port done. When I finish this I'll move on to hour glossing the throttle body. I'm getting a lot better and much faster!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
And "done" about 2.5 hours and the manifold is matched for the head. All of the openings are within .05" of another. Not bad for a noob.... with some care I can get them perfect. I have a pair of mititoyo calipers by the way. Otherwise I'd just be eyeballing it and that wouldn't get me very far.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thanks Paul. I'm sad that my windshield chip just cracked and started to run yesterday and my fuel pump is starting to go out or the strainer is getting clogged. Long story short this install is being pushed back til April. I should still get a decent amount of work done putting it together.

I'm gonna order a gasket kit for Christmas and get the valve job in February then in the next week try and get that cam swap done oh and hourglass the throttle body.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Throttlebody is done... I need to get this head work done. I don't think I'm gonna deck it after all it apparently can throw the timing off... I don't have adjustable cam gears so that's a no go now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
It was recommends that I knife edge the flapper. So I did.... man stuff gets done when I don't have classes!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
uploadfromtaptalk1356322819219.jpg

So along with the new issues I have with my car I thought about replacing the egr valve on my car. The new manifold I got came with everything attached to it. Unfortunately they were different but I got some 3/16" alluminum from my friend... so I made a block off plate. I just have to remove the exhaust tube path to the manifold but for now I pulled the valve....

Can you tell me what the 93 is and which is the "94+"?

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Yep. Im gonna probably make a cleaner block off plate for my new manifold and then make a spare one then use the third piece of 3/16" alluminun for caps to cap off the exhaust and manifold tube inlets.

Anyone know the egr pipe thread pitch or size. Or better yet a link to the caps that would be great. If not I may end up cutting the tub and using the screws from that with washers to cap the holes....

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
uploadfromtaptalk1356744469601.jpg

My second egr block off plate. I might make two more and sell them but I doubt theres interest.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Exhaust cam running on the intake side! And yes it runs... still need to fix my fuelling issue and then I'll post a video but the rumors are true. You can run it. Its louder and the idle is a little bumpy which is nice like a subtle drag car.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
81 - 100 of 1003 Posts