Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 1003 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Good job, that is clean looking... Looking forward to poking around your car.
Counting down the months/days till my road trip. I will be bringing real canadian maple syrup for ya lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
lmao, thanks. I really miss that stuff. hopefully it lives up to memory.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
So after all this work that you've done to your car, do you recall what the origonal butt dyno was like?

I only ask as tomorrow I will be going to "test drive" a bone stock atx v6 mx6 at a car dealer. I'd like to get a feel for where I came from. Even though I have the dyno #'s its a nice reminder of what I've put into the car

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Nope... even when I gt it it wasn't stock but I can imagine the only thing slower than a stock fs is a stock fs with an atx. That being said I hope with all this work I'm near 150whp. I know it pulls pretty well from 4 to 5.5k and I know for a favt its always had a hard time burning out probably because I won't drop it into gear over 2k.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
One down and 15 to go.... btw this is the exhaust side and they are caked so I'm cleaning them with brake cleaner and wire brush before they go in....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Exhaust side done... figured rather than lapping the valves by hand I'd take a shot at using a cordless drill and a vacuum line to twist the valve. The vacuum line was a 5mm used line off my vac system and the drill was nothing special best part was I did the exhaust side in about 45 minutes compared to 20 minutes per valve.

The valves are aged but I'm gonna run them anyways. The head was under low boost for a less than 10k if I remember correctly and had a lot of carbon build up and was pulled at 86k due to a piston ring. I don't remeber if I said that. One side down the intake to go.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
My tools set up for this job. And for the record the intake side is done. Now I just need an overhead valve spring compressor and I can re assemble the head

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I need gaskets! Kind of quedtioning if I should paint the fuel rail... I'm not gonna paint the head after all. I shoild leave a few bits without color I guess.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I took a shot and tried some blue I had laying around.... I hate it. I may just paint over it with black or wait til I swap this set up over and paint/polish my other rail that I'm running on my car now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I hate pink especially day glow... just my opinion but if that's what your honda has its cool. Lol

I have to finish polishing the fuel send rail but this is way better

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Derp... here's a photo.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Found this program online and assuming I have found ally specs and plugged them in right I should be sitting close to this on my stock head. 1364968990240.jpg

Based on more assumptions and by simply adding a higher cfm, I should be near sitting here
1364969017124.jpg

Now I realize I wont get this much of a gain because the program thinks has a different algorithm for bigger valves although I didn't change the size. 145hp at 5500rpm would be acceptable. It is encouraging though since the program did recognize that I have cam overlap and all yhat kind of stuff. I only put a flow of 280cfm on my head which is a huge increase but if I opened my port inlets 30% then I could get closer to 300cfm into the head but without adding bigger valves I know it will choke down my total flow. Meh... too many numbers and a lot of talk but hopefully june I will habe paperwork that proves this.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
For the guys wondering what I used it was called dyno 2000 and it had oir motors in it but I had to modify the bore and stroke and a few other numbers... the cool thing about this is that if I can estimate a good base line I can also estimate how changes in timing and adv/retardation of cams will affect overall horsepower... a huge plus for a guy like me. Did I mention it was free?

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
My next project just got here. Iac and tb gaskets... I just have to cut.. spent $8 or something close for a roll of felpro material thanks to djdevon and one of his write-ups on another website. Its 10"x24" so if I mess up I shoild be able to get one more out of it.

Tomorrow both my adjustable cam gears and my overhead valve spring compressor will be in the mail.... looks like in the next week or so the head will be assembled and depending on if I talk myself into it or not I may be running the ported intake manifold.

I should next weekend, if things go right, be getting my aero muffler put in also...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Mail is not here yet... my overhead valve spring compressor and adjustable cam gears will be here shortly, but I did stop by the parts store after I ran out of gasket sealant fr a couple essentials...

A tb gasket and assembly lube. I should have the head assembled tomorrow or sunday.. 1365099971436.jpg

I didn't take pictures of it but my iac gasket came out pretty decent for my first ever gasket.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
And new goodies are all here

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Got in a hurry and attempted to assemble a valve, realized that spring compressor wouldn't fit in the head and then also realized I had to assemble each valve by hand.... finally got one together and had both retainers in... took off for a bit and then realized I had forgotten one important step... I never got valve stem seals! Facepalm.

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Also need to find 3 small allen screw for my new camshaft gears. I noticed they are missing.. oh well $60 shipped is still a great deal.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 1003 Posts