Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '93 Mx6 with 2.5L V6. I am trying to change the clutch and need to take off the front axle nut and i can't seem to get it off. I have a 3 foot breaker bar and an impact wrench but neither will take it off. Is it reverse threaded or are there any tricks? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
488 Posts
First, go buy a new one.
Now get ready for some destruction.
Drill a few holes through the nut in a row from the center to the outer edge, then take a cold chisel and crack the nut in half. Now you have the nut off. If you are lucky you won't have the problem that I did and you axles won't be frozen to the hub. If they are you can just unbolt the spindle and pull the axle out of the tranny as one assembly. Make sure to have already drained the transmission, it's really messy if you don't. Also make sure to have 3 quarts of new tranny fluid on hand or when you finish as you will need to re-fill it.
When putting it back on remember that it has to be torques to ~300 ft-lbs., and that is a hell of a lot of torque, and staked back in place.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I couldn't get mine off either. I put things together exept for the small center cap in the rim and went to a garage closest to my house. The mechanic turned up the pressure on the compressor and hit it with the impact gun.

Like Greg said, it is about 300lb - ft. So even if you have a 3ft breaker bar you still need to put 100lbs at the end of the bar to tighten it. Way more to get it off because of rust and friction.

I guess drilling would work too. We used a grinder on my brothers crashed eclipse when we were taking out the tranny :)

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
haha, reminiscing a little bit? ;)

actually, it's funny, because i had that problem with an axle nut just yesterday. ended up taking a torch to it. :tup:

Trent

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
WHOA! Talk about an old thread and stupid-ass advice! :lol: Drill through it and break it in half? :lol: OMFG! :lol:

If you bother to bend that little tab out the whole way, it'll come off with either an impact wrench or a halfway decent breaker bar. Hell, you could use a 2 1/2' jack handle and normal 1/2" ratchet - I've done it more times than I can count.

·
Registered
454 Posts
POS. I thought I was the only one with the problem while changing my tranny. I finally gave up, and had to diconnect the (cant remember the name--housing where the tie rod goes into) from the axle. And then I was able to pull out the piece of the axle in the tranny. Truly a messy deal. I had greases dripping everywhere. And if you think taking out that little metal housing is hard, try putting it back in with grease in it. :damnmad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts