Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 3 weeks ago I had pads changed all around. Since then my front brakes have been completely seizing after about 20-30 min of local stop and go driving. I was told, seemingly mistakenly at first, that the prob would "go away" in a week or two but it's gotten worse if anything. Revving at about 3,000 RPM manages barely 20 mph. If i try to drive through it (on a highway) it releases in about 5-10 minutes of excruciating revving while undoubtedly eating my rotors. Once it releases it seems to be fine for until much later on the same day. The cycle repeats itself the next time I drive. Is it definetly the calipers? Is it possible they didn't put the front ones back on correctly after changing the brakes (the garage owner who is usually very honest refutes this). Should I just replace the front calipers or does something just need to be lubed up?

·
Registered
387 Posts
There's a very good chance the brake lines going to the front calipers are either worn or clogged. If they're clogged the fluid will go in, but won't be able to back out fast, causing a stuck caliper.

I'd check those / replace them first, they're usually only around 10-15 bucks a hose, and pretty easy to install. Give that a shot before you drop more on calipers.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
6WitAttitude said:
About 3 weeks ago I had pads changed all around. Since then my front brakes have been completely seizing after about 20-30 min of local stop and go driving. I was told, seemingly mistakenly at first, that the prob would "go away" in a week or two but it's gotten worse if anything. Revving at about 3,000 RPM manages barely 20 mph. If i try to drive through it (on a highway) it releases in about 5-10 minutes of excruciating revving while undoubtedly eating my rotors. Once it releases it seems to be fine for until much later on the same day. The cycle repeats itself the next time I drive. Is it definetly the calipers? Is it possible they didn't put the front ones back on correctly after changing the brakes (the garage owner who is usually very honest refutes this). Should I just replace the front calipers or does something just need to be lubed up?
They messed up the brake job. Get them to own up to it. They reused old guide pins with damage, damaged your master cylinder bleeding them, or something. Get it fixed.

-Garrett

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll have the brake lines checked/changed today. I know he tried something to release the brakes while they were seized in the engine bay (adjusting the master cylinder?) to no avail. The guy that fiddled with the caliper and got the pressure released told me that he's not sure it's the caliper, I need to fix this fast so I guess I'll have the brake line done first.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed the front brake lines today. Still seizes, if anything even stronger than before. Guy wants to change the master cylinder now, is it likely that's it, or is it the caliper? Or something else altogether. Please help, I'm ready to go to Meineke :(

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
6WitAttitude said:
Changed the front brake lines today. Still seizes, if anything even stronger than before. Guy wants to change the master cylinder now, is it likely that's it, or is it the caliper? Or something else altogether. Please help, I'm ready to go to Meineke :(
Could be a number of things actually, line locks would be the best way to diagnose it probably.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to Meineke brake fluid was leaking from the Master Cylinder into the Power Booster. Gotta change them both I guess. Question, after the car locks up if I wait for a half hour or so it drives ok for quite some time, without seizing up. Is it possible that the booster doesn't have to be changed? According to the Haynes if you hold the brake pedal down when starting the car if it goes down down a little further the power booster is fine, which mine does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts