Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from several people MM2K that they rear sway bar on the GT's was hollow. I find this impossible to believe, but wanted to ask anyhow. Is it?

·
Registered
449 Posts
does hollow make it bad? W

hat difference would a solid and hollow one make?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My assumption would be that if it was hollow, then it may allow more flex, and an aftermarket one from say addco would be a good upgrade. I have heard that our stock fronts are good, but the rears could be upgraded and it does help. One of the things I am trying to do with my car is make it one of the most "complete" mx6s out there with 90% of all all popular performace mods, while maintaining a stock look.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I recently installed new front and rear frame bushings and endlinks on my '89 GT. Based on the feel of everything I was feeling up, and boy was I feeling some stuff up, I'm really, really, really sure that whoever told you that either of the sway bars is hollow was talking right out their butt.

·
Registered
449 Posts
where did you get the frame bushings from and how much?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I bought the frame bushings from http://www.suspension.com, they're "Energy Suspension" products.

If I recall correctly, the rears were $7 for the set and the fronts were $14 since they came with replacement mounting brackets. The rears didn't come with brackets.

Addco also makes both frame bushings and endlinks, but I couldn't find anyone who dealt the frame bushings.

G

·
I've upgraded both my front and rear swaybars. The Rear swaybar feels hollow and is very light compared to the upgraded one. I upgraded the rear one first and this made a lot of difference in handling and the front swaybar also helped but not as much. If anyone is thinking of getting new swaybars i would recommend it.

Con

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have a set of Energy frame bushings for the front swaybar. I have 1 18mm bushing set part number 9-5122, will see how it goes. I still need to pick up a set of the 11-5107's for the back. I also picked up the addco endlinks (front/back) at AutoZone for $9.99 US each. Not a bad price.

KR44, did you go with the Addco or other front/rear swaybars? Did they come with new bushings and all the required parts to mount them? (like the endlinks?)

[Edited by Manifest on 12-02-2000 at 10:06 PM]

G

·
I just had a look at the old swaybars and one of them has a hollow feel (don't know if front or rear).
I've got whitline swaybars (Australian company i think). I got the same diameter as stock but they are much more solid and heavier. When i ordered them they came with all the new bushings and endlinks. For the price I paid $120Aus they were one of the best mods i've done.

Con

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will start looking here and see what we have available.

[Update] Looks like carparts.com has them, and with the 33% off coupon they come to about 100 each. This includes the bushings and endlinks. This seems like a good deal and I may pick them up to add to my winter work...

[Edited by Manifest on 12-03-2000 at 01:36 AM]

·
Registered
449 Posts
I can't find them. Where on carparts.com can you find the whitline swaybars?

So, if I bought this kit which bushings would be better? the Energy suspension ones?

What is the difference between: anti-roll bars, sway bars, and anti-sway bars?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The swaybars on carparts.com are addco ones, just do a part number search for the following part numbers. 467 for the rear, 559 for the front. These "should" come with the bushings and endlinks.

[Edited by Manifest on 12-03-2000 at 11:30 AM]

·
Registered
449 Posts
ok, were did you get the 33% off from? I can only find 15%, $30 off, and 10% off with free shipping offers.

Autozone sells them for $108, free shipping. Maybe we can take advantage of carparts.com's 110% gurantee promotion.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 33% is posted all over the deal sites, along with probetalk and tons of other places. $108 from autozone? Is that from their online store?

·
Registered
449 Posts
yeah the 108 is from autozone's website

G

·
I forget to tell you make sure you get the same diameter swaybars as stock. At first i bought second hand ones that were 22mm and 26mm if i remember correctly. These sway bars didn't fit as they were to big, but i got my money back anyway and bought new ones from whiteline. I think the stock ones are 18mm and the other is between 20-22mm.

Con

G

·
Also the guy who sold me the second hand swaybars said that it didn't fit on his car because he has 4ws, he said there are two types one for 4ws and one for 2ws. But when i ordered them from whiteline they said that the swaybars for the 2ws and 4ws are the same. So you might want to check that up before you order them.

con

·
Registered
449 Posts
The NAs had smaller diameter bars and the turbos had the larger ones. The only 626 to have the larger bars was the 4WS car (which had a turbo).

The addcos, which are larger, match the OEM design and are said to work. Hmmmm....I wonder if anyone has the addco ones installed on their car already?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts