Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, here is a walk through for removing your front stut and spring assemblies and also for putting in new shocks, springs, mounts, etc that you have laying around. Hopefully this makes it a little clearer and helps you understand exactly how easy this is for just about anyone.

Tools needed:
14mm socket (I prefer deep well)
17mm socket (will probably need deep well)
rubber mallet (helps to have)
an extra set of hands (not a must have but very helpful in all aspects of life)

With the wheel removed and the front end on jackstands you will see the hub assembly and strut assembly. The lower bolts will have some torque on them and may require a cheater bar along with the 17mm. They are held with locknuts so you shouldnt need another wrench on the other side to hold the bolt. Get the nuts off and use the rubber mallet to tap the bolts back through the spindle and out into your hand. Also make sure you unclip the brake hose from the shock assembly.

Here we have the top 4 bolts. There should actually be 8 nuts because these studs also support some brackets that are easily moved after you get off the first 4 nuts. The bottom 4 may also have some torque on them so a cheater bar may be required again. Get all 4 loosened and the strut will begin to drop into the wheel well. This is where it helps to have an extra hand below to support the shock as it comes down. Once its lose, wiggle it down towards the caliper and you should have enough room to bring the whole assembly out.

·
Registered
948 Posts
i don't know if i can comment but something i learned from doing it by myself. Loosen the two strut to knuckle bolts first. Then completly take off the 4, really 8 top bolts. Then tap both of the knuckle bolts out, you then can lower the strut out w/o worring about it destroying your foot or leg.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Allright kids, now that you have the strut (or struts) off the car and you're all dirty its time to tear them down and put some new stuff together.

Here we have the strut assembly, spring compressors and an impact wrench. The sockets you'll use will be a 17mm for the spring compressors and a 21mm socket for the actualy strut nut. Once again I'll say use deep sockets just because they'll help a ton. The compressors you can borrow from an autozone or other parts place and yes you will need them.

Space the compressors out evenly and crank them down as much as possible. It helps to have the impact wrench for speed but this can also be done with hand tools and might be much safer if you havent done this before. After compressed, loosen the the top main nut slowly. The whole assembly may or may not jump a little bit when the spring tension is released, so be ready for that to happen. Once the nut is off, everything come apart very easily. Be sure to take note of which way the notch in the strut mount is in relation to the strut as this will affect your alignment.

Here we have everything that will be in the assembly. First the strut of course, then the boot and bump stop, the top mount, the bearing and finally the spring perch and spring. The rubber inside the mount is prone to getting dry and rotted out which can lead to a little vibration inside the car. You may want to replace it anyway if the mount looks old and original. They are only like $30-40 from the store. Its always a good idea to also check the bearing for rough spots and replace it if it makes noise and feels rough. The spring seat should be fine and ready to go on the new spring.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
When you are putting the shocks back together (hopefully with new struts and springs) you may also want to replace the rubber spring pads that go up on the top of the spring where it touches the spring perch. Personally I used a foot of heater hose that just slipped over the coil just to cut down on some vibration from the assembly.

I hope this helps everyone that is a little initimidated to add new springs or replace their old dead shocks. You wont believe the difference a fresh set of shocks will make even with the stock springs and old hardware. Give it a shot.

[ Comments can be found here: http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121288 ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts