Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
6x8, that is what i had stock in my holes. i replaced all of them with infinity kappa 6.5in, i put two component sets, in there. best sound for the price i could get. this should be in the car audio section.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yah, they're 6x8's and hardly anyone makes em...I got 5x7 boston acoustic's in them...they fit, but I should I went with the 6x9's, they should fit too...hope that helps! later

·
Registered
108 Posts
ya they are 6x8's . no dont try fitting 6x9's in there unless u wanna do some mods by yourself cause i have tried. i found a set of pioneer 180 watt 3 way 6x8's . and they were well worth the $$$$$.

[Edited by euroMX6 on 01-03-2001 at 01:45 PM]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go with the Pioneeer 3 way 6x8. I have those all around in my car, and they sound pretty good. Not many places sell that size. I found mine at Best Buy, but not all locations have them. Crutchfield has the Pioneers and a few others.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
About those Pioneer 6x8's, do they have good bass? Good bass and not like the factory ones. I blew out two of the factory ones and i'm looking for a speaker that will last and have good bass (close to subwoofer bass). I don't want to fork out more money for amps and subwoofers. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They will have better bass than the factory speakers, and won't blow out unless you are using a separate amp with too much power for them. I don't think they, or any 6x8 (or 6x9), will really come close to the bass from a separate amp and sub. They are worth the money. Start cheap - buy an inexpensive sub and amp and get the box from a flea market, or something.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
are none of you happy with the bass your stocks provide? every time someone sits in my car theyre like "and what do you have in the trunk?"...LOL. and BTW NEVER buy any car audio gear from the flea market...EVER! the only speakers that fit w/o mods are the 6x8, 5x7, and 6.5". both the former have the same cutout requirements (usually). about the 6.5", it wont sound as good as the 6x8 b/c it doesnt provide a separation between the air in front and behind the midrange driver. also, would the moderator move this thread to the car audio section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i also have the pioneer 6X8s, i got them at best buy, they're the only ones that had them. As for the bass, it's not that great but definetly better than the factory speakers...i do recommend the pioneers

·
Registered
806 Posts
They R 6x8's

They are 6x8's and Pioneer is the only one that I know of that makes them. The others make 5x7's. The box even mentions that they are replacements for Ford and Mazda factory size speakers. I bought the replacements for my rear from Crutchfield. I like buying from them because they always include the connector to mate with the factory connector(for free) on your car so you don't have to cut and splice. I got the three ways Pioneers(TS-A6865) and I have a lot more voice than the factory and I can't really say I notice a difference in the bass.

·
Registered
59 Posts
superflymx6

Hey...you got 6.5" Infinity Kappas to fit in the front? I'm thinking of getting these...is it a lot of work to make it fit?

·
Registered
181 Posts
are none of you happy with the bass your stocks provide? every time someone sits in my car theyre like "and what do you have in the trunk?"...LOL. and BTW NEVER buy any car audio gear from the flea market...EVER! the only speakers that fit w/o mods are the 6x8, 5x7, and 6.5". both the former have the same cutout requirements (usually). about the 6.5", it wont sound as good as the 6x8 b/c it doesnt provide a separation between the air in front and behind the midrange driver. also, would the moderator move this thread to the car audio section.
People ask me the same thing. I have no subs in the trunk, all I have are rear Pioneer 6x8's and stock speakers up front, stock tweeters too. I think the rear Pioneer's suck.. I can't stand them. The front's sound 100x better so I don't even use the rear's, just the fronts.

I just won 6x9 speakers, that I think I'll custom fit into the rear and keep the pioneers for emergency blown speaker use only.. Maybe the pioneers would be better up front.. or maybe im just super picky :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
Go me :p

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I got mine done at Best Buy, so I could have all the warranties, even on installation and such. I have 6x9's in the rear, and all they did was put an adaptor plate in, from 6x8 to 6x9. Bolts into the regular spots the 6x8 would, and has places for the 6x9's to bolt into it.

From there I just threw the 6x8's in the front. Which Pioneer 6x8's are you running? My Pioneer 6x9's are amazing, and the 6x8's I have up front just compliment them.

Ah, might as well make this topic useful if its an epic zombie, hmm?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a template here for a 6x8 to 6.5" adaptor if anyone is interested...I can scan and upload it.
Made it from some adaptor plates I bought for $5, however they dont fit some 6.5" speakers, ie 2008 sony range didn't fit but the 2009 range did - I have a set of Sony GTX1620 components in there now. I believe the difference is because the older speakers have the screws further apart by a couple of mm so they would interfer with the original 6x8 screw holes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Kenwood KFC-C6894PS 6"x8" 3-Ways Performance Series Coaxial Car Speakers 6x8 240w. Front and rear custom made for Ford and Mazda :jump:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts