Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 MX6 LS with a manual transmission. My problem has been ongoing since the beginning of the year: When i accelerate, the whole front end feels like i'm driving over "bumps" in the road(the faster i go, the faster and stronger the shaking gets). When i shift or lay off the accelerator, the shaking stops, and then resumes again asi give it gas. I can feel it in my gas pedal, floorboard, and it makes a "clicking" sound too. I took my car to my mechanic, and eventually had both driveshafts replaced (they actually needed to be) Well, my MX6 is in and out of the shop cause the problem keeps happening and i get the driveshafts replaced for free (under warranty) Sometimes the driveshafts have that "play" that I read in some of the other threads sometimes they don't. I love this car alot but i can't take this problem anymore and am considering selling it. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did have a front broken motor mount, but had it replaced. The bumps and shaking seem more related to the tranny and not the engine, 'cause it smoothes out on the freeway (but it is still there). The lower rpm range (till about 3.5k) produces the most shaking and vibration. Could it be the contol arms?:confused:

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
C-Diddy said:
i did have a front broken motor mount, but had it replaced. The bumps and shaking seem more related to the tranny and not the engine, 'cause it smoothes out on the freeway (but it is still there). The lower rpm range (till about 3.5k) produces the most shaking and vibration. Could it be the contol arms?:confused:
Are you sure all the other mounts are okay? Particularly, are you sure the rear is ok?

When you are accelerating, and this occurs, look down at the shifter. Does it shake like the rest of the car?

-Garrett

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i drove the car around and the steering wheel and stick shift do not shake. They transfer the feel of the "Clunking" though, just like the floorboard, but either doesn't shake more than at idle. A little history: i was involved in a "collision" on the freeway; at night a semi lost its load of scrap metal an i was one of many cars that hit various things. My car literally had the fron 2 wheels off the ground, and when i landed, my left front tire blewout. I had a mechanic look at the suspension and he said everything "looked good" (i did have some body damage, but got it repaired) That was 2 plus years ago and this problem started earlier this year.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Does the sound increase or change while using the brakes or making a turn? Possibly check on your CV-joints. Look for cracks in them or grease that has been thrown off of the joint. I go through CV- joints faster than gas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no noise from turning or braking, it just shakes through the floorboard and clunks the higher the rpm's go (my cd player skips 'cause of it). My mechanic did say that i had a strut tower "rubbing" or something cause at low speed turns, my car "creaks." I did some different driving to see "what affects what" and it only "clunks" when i give it gas, and the faster I push on the gas, the more pronounced the "clunking" becomes. It almost feels like something is slipping. I just had both drive axles replaced too (many under warranty actually) and they sometimes find "play" in the drive axle after a few days of driving it . I also went over a speed "hump" in my neighborhood at a "higher speed" and when some of the weight was off the front end, the "clunking" was reallly prominent till the weight re-disrtibuted. I was wondering now if it could be the control arms because my "accident" :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found out the cause of my suspension woes: There was a "c-clip" on the passenger side of the drive shaft at the inter/shaft that had broken, allowing for a lot of backwards/forwards play in the drive shaft. Cost $3 (U.S.) direct from mazda :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts