Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what can be causing my front wheels to point inward a little bit. Would a wheel alignment simply fix this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
My car looked like that and I finally took it to the alignment shop last night. If fixed the problem. Now all I have to do is buy new tires because of it - Stupid road construction! - Andrew

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It depends on how the tires are leaning. if teh tires are like this : /-\ if you're looking at the car from the front or back then that is positive camber. Caused by either having the car too low or a mis alignment. +1 or 2 degrees is sometimes recomended for pople who autocross or who want a litle more stability when turning hard. Again this is not recomended because of the uneven tire wear and it might hamper velocity. either way, if your car is a daily driver, I'd suggest for you to get an alignment ASAP to get that camber or caster, whatever it is taken care of.

·
Registered
108 Posts
could also be warn tie-rod ends. take it to a reputable suspension shop and ask them to thoroughly inspect the suspension/steering components. if you get an alignment done with warn parts you're just asking for trouble.

let us know what the culprit is!

cheers,

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you take it to an alignment shop that knows what they're doing, they'll be able to tell you if you have any parts that are worn/broken or need replacing. if you take it to Pep Boys or the like, those kids will just drive it into the ramp, look at the wheels and charge you $50 for the alignment they never did or did very poorly.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
It's called NEGATIVE CAMBER

Ok guys, about this wheel leaning inward thing:
After running through a set of Hrated tires every 20k miles, I did some serious reading on alignment. Mazdas handle so well because they have aggress negative camber settings which is why the wheels lean in at the top. To keep the car from wandering on the highway, they also add "toe-in" and point the tires towards each other horizontally. If you back off a little on the toe (make the wheels roll more parallel to each other) the car handles even more responsively, wears better, and only wanders a little. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
JPMX6GT said:
It depends on how the tires are leaning. if teh tires are like this : /-\ if you're looking at the car from the front or back then that is positive camber.
Quick clarification:

When viewed from the front,

/-\ == negative camber

\-/ == positive camber

PGTs have a pronouced negative front camber at -54 minutes whereas the MX6/626 specification is -42 minutes. So some "lean" is normal, but it's hard to judge by eye. Do you notice odd wear patterns on the tire tread? Does the car pull one side or the other or do the tires squeal going slowly around corners?

I agree with JP that when dealing with suspect alignment, a shop is the best place to start. On top of having the equipment to align down to 1/360th of a degree, they can also tell you if there are parts (e.g. balljoint) wearing to the point that the alignment, and possibly safety, is being affected.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Hi Ruby
When replying to post you need to hit the "REPLY" tab not the "NEW THREAD" one, that way you will post below the relative topic and not a new stand alone message that has happend with your previous two replys. (about camber and cruise control)

Cheers

<edit> I merged the two threads, but wanted to leave this here for reference. xeon </edit>

·
Registered
108 Posts
prey it's not a ball-joint... they are non-servicable in our cars thus the entire control arm needs to be replaced. i just had one done to the tune of $770 CDN. that was the dealer's price (tax incl), and Speedy or Midas couldn't match it! i would have taken it to a private shop but when i comes to things like suspension (excluding springs/struts) i generally like to stick with genuine parts.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Make sure they don't try to f**k with you either... when I brought my car in to get an alignment, they had to do a "front-end inspection" and tried to bullshit me saying that my inner and outer tie-rods needed replacing, they showed me, and they didn't. Know your sh*t, make sure they don't try to rip you off by telling you that your tie-rods are worn or lose, needing replacement. Tell them to show you what they're talking about, or else you'll get ass f**ked... just to help....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it's normal or ok for the front wheels to be pointing slightly inward?

Plus when I turn there's always this hmmm ticking type sound. Can't be the CV Joints can it cause there's nothing leaking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts