Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. After a dozen years, the time has come to finally sell off my ‘88 MX6 GT with 178k on the clock. I burned a valve at 165k and rebuilt the engine with NA 8.6:1 pistons and new rod bearings, but despite following the manual to a T, 10k miles later it’s burning oil suggesting it either needs new rings or valve stem seals. I’d like to get $1,500, but I’m open to offers. The car is located in Cincinnati, OH.

In addition to the car, I’ve got a spare intercooler, set of front hubs, springs, and one of the factory FOHA body kits. The rear bumper of the kit has a small crack, but it should be easily repairable.

This is off the top of my head so I might be missing something, but...

The Good:
  • Modine copper and brass radiator
  • 2.5” O2 housing and downpipe
  • EGR delete
  • 8.6:1 pistons
  • Manual ball and spring boost controller
  • Probinator chipped ECU (I still have the original EPROM)
  • Poly filled motor mounts
  • 25mm front sway bar w/ poly end links
  • AWR Front strut tower brace
  • Butterfly brace
  • 2.5” eBay “catalytic converter”
  • 2.5” Turbo Tube muffler
  • 2” exhaust
  • 90-92 (1 gen B) lower tie bar
  • 90-92 rear strut tower brace
  • AWR rear trailing links w/ poly bushings
  • 22mm rear sway bar w/ poly end links
  • Boost gauge integrated into the dash cluster
  • OEM sunroof deflector
  • Auto-dimming mirror with Homelink
The bad:
  • Low compression in #4 cylinder. Likely bad rings.
  • Leaky rear main seal. Excess blowby from the worn rings probably dislodged it.
  • Burns oil, especially when coming off boost. May be bad valve stem seals, clogged oil drain line, excess blowby coming through the PCV system, or something else. Turbo seals feel fine, for what that’s worth.
The Ugly:
  • Cracked dash
  • Headliner is from a 90-92 MX6, so it doesn’t quite fit around the sides
  • Rear wheel well rust on both sides
  • Paint is faded to heck
I can only attach 10 photos, so the rest are located in this Imgur album. Feel free to reply with any questions, and I’ll try to answer them as soon as I can.

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Sky Grille
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Vehicle Car Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle
Light Gauge Speedometer Automotive design Measuring instrument
Window Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Plant Car

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. I’m surprised there’s zero interest in the body kit, there can’t be that many still around after all these years. I know that rare doesn’t necessarily mean valuable, but I’d hate to see it go to the junkyard all the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all. After a dozen years, the time has come to finally sell off my ‘88 MX6 GT with 178k on the clock. I burned a valve at 165k and rebuilt the engine with NA 8.6:1 pistons and new rod bearings, but despite following the manual to a T, 10k miles later it needs new rings and it sounds like a rod bearing isn’t too happy. As she sits, she’s basically a self propelled parts car. I’d like to get $1,500, but I’m open to offers. The car is located in Cincinnati, OH.

In addition to the car, I’ve got a spare intercooler, set of front hubs, springs, and one of the factory FOHA body kits. The rear bumper of the kit has a small crack, but it should be easily repairable.

This is off the top of my head so I might be missing something, but...

The Good:
  • Modine copper and brass radiator
  • 2.5” O2 housing and downpipe
  • EGR delete
  • 8.6:1 pistons
  • Manual ball and spring boost controller
  • Probinator chipped ECU (I still have the original EPROM)
  • Poly filled motor mounts
  • 25mm front sway bar w/ poly end links
  • AWR Front strut tower brace
  • Butterfly brace
  • 2.5” eBay “catalytic converter”
  • 2.5” Turbo Tube muffler
  • 2” exhaust
  • 90-92 (1 gen B) lower tie bar
  • 90-92 rear strut tower brace
  • AWR rear trailing links w/ poly bushings
  • 22mm rear sway bar w/ poly end links
  • Boost gauge integrated into the dash cluster
  • OEM sunroof deflector
  • Auto-dimming mirror with Homelink
The bad:
  • Low compression in #4 cylinder. Likely bad rings.
  • Leaky rear main seal. Excess blowby from the worn rings probably dislodged it.
  • Burns oil, especially when coming off boost. May be bad valve stem seals, clogged oil drain line, excess blowby coming through the PCV system, or something else. Turbo seals feel fine, for what that’s worth.
The Ugly:
  • Cracked dash
  • Headliner is from a 90-92 MX6, so it doesn’t quite fit around the sides
  • Rear wheel well rust on both sides
  • Paint is faded to heck
I can only attach 10 photos, so the rest are located in this Imgur album. Feel free to reply with any questions, and I’ll try to answer them as soon as I can.

View attachment 13610 View attachment 13601 View attachment 13602 View attachment 13603 View attachment 13604 View attachment 13605 View attachment 13606 View attachment 13607 View attachment 13608 View attachment 13609
Is this car still available?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts