Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine/Transmission-$700
OK, summer has come to an end and my baby isnt working. Just got off the phone with the dealership who told me I have an electrical problem somewhere and it would cost $800-$2400 to dig around and locate. In light of this, I'm planning to remove the engine and store the car for the winter. Hopefully discovering the problem next summer. FIgure this would be perfect for someone with a high mileage 4 Cylender.

Bought this engine from a Japanese Importer (JDM Erik Japan). Has roughly 45k miles on both the transmission and the engine. The engine has no EGR system on it, so if you dont want the CEL flashing, you will have to re-use your intake and exhaust manifolds.
Also Included with the engine is the alternator and starter. Brand new Distributer can be included for an additional $150.

Will post updated pics on Monday/tuesday when I get the car back from the dealer

NOT going to ship this bugger, but I would be willing to deliver up to $100 miles

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Have you tried swapping harnesses? You could always pick up a cheap harness from the junkyard and be done with it if that's the problem. What are you symptoms?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
0 spark.

Had spark, corrected timing which was off, then no spark. Didnt touch ANY wires between it having spark and not having spark except the disty harness. Even bought brand new disty and that didnt help

However D, thats not a bad idea... why not replace the entire thing instead of dicking around with the broken one I got. Unfortunatly I would need to remove the motor to install it. wouldnt I?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't know how the I4 is set up but I'm sure you could get away with doing it with the engine still in there. It would take some careful techniques but I'm sure it's possible. How many miles are on the car itself? Wires and conectors get old and wornout over the years and this is something that happens. The mx6 engine bay gets pretty hot which tends to age rubber and plastic components a little faster.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
167k miles on car, but when i undid all of the connectors for the swap in the first place, they all looked brand new on the inside. Maybe I missed one, idk

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't know then. Perhaps you did miss one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey is there any way i could buy the stock intake from the manifold all the way to the airbox??? i really need it to get my car smogged how much would it cost to part with it shipped to 93245???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts