Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys whats up? i am once again having problems with my 1988 mazda 626. i went to start it up this morning and it wouldnt start. the engine was cranking but i dont think the fuel was being delivered. i have 3/4 of a tank so i dont think the ammount of gasoline is a problem. i was wondering what this may be, or if it is fuel system related or something totally different?? any advice is welcome. thanks

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
tyler886 said:
Turn your key to the "ON" position, listen to hear if the fuel pump comes on.

-Tyler
Not so fast, the fuel pump does not come on if you just turn the key to "ON". It may run for a split second, but it will not run continuously. The fuel pump only runs when:

a) The key is turned to START

OR

b) The key is turned to ON, AND the engine is already running. (i.e. VAF has a nonzero reading)

OR

c) The key is turned to ON, AND the yellow fuel pump test connector under the hood (near driver's strut tower) is jumped.

·
Registered
137 Posts
OK,ty this, your fuelpump istriggered by 1. key on, then goes to VAF sensor. keep the key on, then openthe flapper in the vaf. your fuel pump will turn on until you release the flapper.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
T3 626 said:
OK,ty this, your fuelpump istriggered by 1. key on, then goes to VAF sensor. keep the key on, then openthe flapper in the vaf. your fuel pump will turn on until you release the flapper.
well thank you for restating what magik JUST typed... but i think the BEST corse of action would be

magik8 said:
c) The key is turned to ON, AND the yellow fuel pump test connector under the hood (near driver's strut tower) is jumped.
since he can be IN the car to listen for the pump

you also may wanna pick up the lower half of the back seat... some times youll have a hard time hearing through all that foam

·
Registered
137 Posts
If youare under the hood opening the flapper, you WILL be able to hear it go through the rail and the fpr.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
the fuel pump may come on...but might not be delivering enough fuel. hook up a fuel pressure gauge before the fuel filter and after the filter and get some readings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts