Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to know if your sposed to filter the fuel from the main tank as it goes into the surge tank, or filter it as it goes into the fuel rail????

btw is it okay to mount the surgy in the engine bay against the firewall or does it have to be in the boot?

any help on this subjekt is greatly appreciated!

thanx all, ur legends. :)

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I've done some research about surge tanks.

It seems that the location does not matter. I've seen installations in the front and rear of cars. My opinion is to mount the tank under the hood if you have the space. This shortens your length of HP hose and removes it from under the car (less mess if it bottomed out and broke).

Also, since the HP pump will heat up the gas considerably, you should have the LP fuel rail return go back to the tank and not into the surge tank. This will give the fuel more surface area to cool against as well as mix with the fuel in the gas tank to cool it as well.

Out of curiosity, what is your application that you need a surge tank for?

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I have a surge tank mounted in the boot(trunk), but I am not sure I would do that again, as the vapours permeate the rubber lines, and the inside of the car often smells a bit like fuel.

I have a fuel filter in the line to the lift pump, and the high pressure filter in the engine bay feeding the rail.

Putting the surge tank in the engine bay would result in the fuel getting hotter from the engine bay heat....

However if I had to re do my system, I would use a different shaped swirl pot, and mount it under the car somewhere at the back.

currently its about 10 inches high and 3 inches in diameter....originally worked out to have a bit more than 30 secs at full throttle, with no fuel from the lift pump.

I wanted to make one about 6 inches in diameter and about 2.5 inches high, which would hold slightly more fuel, and would be a better shape to fit under the floor....but would need some internal baffling as a tall skinny pot is best to eliminate surge, as short fat one would be only marginally better than the car's fuel tank

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for the info guys, that exactly the info i need.

the application is in a 1g mx6, with a fairly upgraded F2T

i have heaps of room in my engine bay, i just completely stripped and painted everything, and now its all being re assembled in much more of a neater fashion than the standard set up.

its not a mega power car, (obviously), when it gets tuned it should have somewhere in the vicinity of 260-280hp atw

b4 the strip, it had the stock fuel system other than 470cc injectors, and the stock pump shouldnt have been far off maxing out under full boost. I decided i may aswell upgrade everything while i was at it, so ive got a System1 30micron filter, a bosch 044, and a 2lt surge tank, im gone use the factory pump as a LP en route to the surge.

mainly decided to go a surge as i dont find the baffling in the stock tank very impressive, it often cuts out around fast corners with 1/3 tank of fuel, and its quite annoying.

any other info is really appreciated, thanx guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts