Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
can anyone tell me how to go about changing my fuel filter? i took my car to get the oil changed and I was going to have them change it...i had one in my car and the guy charged me $60 and he said it would be 1/2 hrs...i thought that was a lot so I want to change it myself...can anyone tell me how to go about doing it...and anything i have to make sure i do or watch out for...I have a manual so i am going to read that too...

thank you

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have heard that it is easier to change it from the bottom, but I change mine from the top. You must first disconnect the fuse for the injectors and let the car run to clear the fuel line and then disconnect the battery terminal. If you still have the factory airbox, you will have to remove all of that since the fuel filter is underneath of that. After removing that you will see the fuel filter down beneath where the air filter box sits. It kind of looks like a soup can. I removed a bracket or two to give me some more handroom as it is kind of tight. It is sitting in a little holder and has hose clamps on each end. The top side isn't too bad, but the bottom is a real pain in the ass, especially when you go to put in the new filter, the hose is kind of short. I used a couple curse words during the re-installation. I was talking to a fellow Prober and he said that he put a longer fuel line on the back side when he did his as it is kinda tight. I didn't though and its not too bad of a job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi

It is like Xeon says. TIGHT. I battled to get the hoses of in such a way not to damage the rubber. The filter is in a bracket(metal color) and you have to undo two screws to get it out. Filter is a black color, cylinder shaped object, located underneath the airbox and i suggest you buy it from the dealer. Anyway i live in South Africa and i don't trust any other high pressure filter.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I remember leaving my car with bloddy knuckles after changing my FF. I guess all you need is a long L shaped needle nose plier to squeese the hose clamps together and slide them down and out of the way, then it's just a matter of wiggeling the filter side to side until it slides out. just make sure you don't smoke while you do this... I got a nice squirt of gasoline in the eye when I pulled the filter off.... that would have been pretty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey J,
I tried all this weekend to get the fuel filter out and I couldn't...it was first too far down and too tight...man i had the hardest time...and still couldn't get it out...I just had to give up...I got as far as to undo the screw for the clamp and I couldn't get the filter to budge out of the clamp...and besides there was no working room in there!!! I guess i will have to pay the $60 to change it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts