Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me any guidance? the last 2 times I have filled the car up the needle on the fuel gauge has only managed to get too in between the last 2 markers. The first time it happened I thought I had not put enough fuel in but the last time I know I filled her up. The coolant temp gauge has not changed its normal operating indication so I assume any type of instrument voltage regulators are ok, if thats how they still do things these days?
Also does everybody's gauge take an eternity to go from empty to full after a fill up?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've got the same problem on mine, you can fill it right to the top, but the guage never gets there, and yep it takes an age to get as far as it does.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Seems to be a common Mazda problem. My MX6 and the Xedos6 before both have the same fault. I tend to fill up by the mileometer instead...

Ken

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
hi guys,

i know of the prob but dont currently have it, however i used to get the same problem on an ole mark 2 capri (yeah yeah, at least it was stage 3 head and janspeeds(grin)). the way i fixed it was a little off the wall but it did work.

you need to build up some speed on a straight road, and then do an emergency stop, you know the type, when u can hear the fuel slapping around in the tank. perhaps sommat was sticking, but after that, prob solved. oh if u try this, make sure no one is right up ya ass!

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Yes,they are slow, but then again, under normal use, they don't have to be fast.. if they were, the needle would be all over the place.

Mine does go up to full.. on rare occasions, and down to empty... where it normally is anyway })

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey guy's i have this problem to and would like to know if anyone knows how to fix it???
would you need to replace the fuel sensor in the tank???
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
It's either the sensor, wiring or gauge...

Remove the rear seat, the sensor is under the round panel.

John

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Unfortunately, when the Xedos had the fault Mazda tested things and said that everything checked out OK, and it was a common fault with them. :(
Not 100% happy with that though.

SST John?

Ken

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Special Service Tool Ken..

Saying that.. there's quite a few of them, and various harnesses to hook them up. some have multi uses, other are specific.

John

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Hmm, the 6 is in for it's 63,000 service next Monday. I think I'll ask them to use their SST to do a full diagnostic on the fuel gauge and sensor too... ;)

Ken

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
That's where the trouble starts... not all dealers have them, because they have to buy them from Mazda. Even the guy I go to, only has one of them.

There is a system selector box, and another one that plugs into it, and another etc.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts