Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Re 96 4ws Mx6, fuel is leaking from the top of the tank from perhaps what I assume is the fuel quantity sender. Under rear seat is a 3 screw cover then a 5 screw panel into the tank. No hoses just elect connector. All net searches say the fuel pump has 6 screws and will have hoses etc. Where is this pump located & is tank removal required to access? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I thought you had to remove the gas tank to replace the fuel pump (at least on the V6, and I think the I4 would be the same).

Here is a video for the 626, which is mechanically identical:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am not familiar with whether there would be differences between the AUS MX and Euro or American version, but I just did the fuel pump and sending unit on a 96 V6 and there was no panel under the rear seat to gain access to the tank. I had to drop the tank, which entailed connections to 5 hoses, 3 tank straps and one electrical connector...then the fuel sending unit/fuel pump (it's all assembled together, and the fuel pump cannot be changed without removing the sending unit from the tank), there were NO screws involved in mine other than the 3 bolts holding the straps on. I wound up replacing both due to corroded connections where the electrical connections pass through the plate in the top [that the sending unit mounts to the tank through]. I also had two "vent" grommets in the top of the tank, where two valves are in the tank that connect to plastic pipes which are a part of the evaporative emissions system. The grommets had effectively liquefied/melted on the inside of the tank, and would have leaked had I filled the tank and not replaced them...discovered them when I had the tank out...

Background on my car...

1996 MX6 V6 "M" that has been sitting, stored, for 10 years with bad bearings in the engine...finally got around to building a new engine and have it installed and running, but the fuel pump/sending unit had rusted/corroded over time and had to be replaced...gradually getting all the "time destroyed" parts replaced and hope to have it on the road again soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts