Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that my fuel tank is leaking (well, more like seeping). I've been smelling a fuel odor near the drivers rear tire, so I crawled underneath and found an oily spot on the edge of the tank at a seam. It's a bit rusty too. I wiped it with my finger, smelled it, and yep it smells like feul. Is this repairable? Or am I looking at a new tank. I looked it up, and a new tank is $245, which isnt that bad, but it looks like an absolute pain in the ass to replace. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I would pull the rear seat and verify that it is not comming from the top of the tank where you fuel pump is. Just check that the hoses there are not leaking to be sure. If it is the tank I doubt that there are very many good ones in the junkyard.

What that price of $245 from local Mazda, MazdaSouth or a parts store?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Interesting site; not sure if I like it or not. They don't give very much info on the part and it doesn't look like you can call anyone to ask about it.

I looked up a chrome rim from a 97 probeGT; one place wanted over $700 for one wheel. Another wanted over $200. All were used.

If I am looking for used parts I use www.car-parts.com and then call the yard for the parts and price.

I looked up 1st gen MT turbo trannys with some interesting results also.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice site james. $50 isnt bad. However I'm still deciding whether to go with a new tank or used. I'm just worried that if I get a used one I'll end up with one as shitty and rusted as the one I have now.

BTW. When did you get a probe?

·
Registered
711 Posts
You are right, replacing the gas tank is a pain in the butt. Talk to a radiator repair shop before replacing the tank. Some of them also repair gas tanks.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided I'm going to have a shop do the repair. And they only want $120 labor! So that kicks ass. Plus a local salvage yard has a used tank for $100 and they'll deliver it to the repair shop. Now I just have to remove my sub box (ughhhh, not looking forward to that).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts