Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my car broke down today. vacuum leak that made my idle at 4k, but i fixed it. anyways that was a scare because with my 3.5" front lip and lowering springs... i wouldnt be able to tow it if i wanted. how would i be able to get a tow hook on there? maybe the style where is comes out of the front grill/opening? or one of the ones that screws into the frame?

grill/opening -

http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/tech/18299991/htup_0904_01_z+aftermarket_tow_hooks+honda_civic_tow_hook.jpg

screw in type -

http://www.typeoneracing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/towhook.jpg
http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/attachments/dodge-dart-appearance/7479d1361391705-tow-hook-yes-no-zd.jpg

any ideas would help! after this scare, id like to be able to tow my car haha

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
Do bumper clips so it comes off quck and easy, some thing like these.

There's a grip if options out there.... the tow hooks look cheap in my opinion and even if you were able to pull your car with them onto a flat bed you could still scrape the front bumper either off or break pieces.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Tow hook just needs to be mounted to a solid part of the chassis that can actually take pulling the entire weight of the car. The VAST majority of ones like you posted on that civic are all looks, and half the time bolted to a bumper cover or something stupid like that. Its all for looks.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone have a diagram or a picture of the mx6 2g without a front bumper on? so i can see where the frame sits?

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
All of those hooks look suitable. I disagree with they are all "looks only". They are functional and still dont kill the look of the car. I like the hinge ones best because you can also remove them, Idealy instead of the bolt..a pin you could slide in would be better..then it could be removed and stored in the glove box.

Get a good one, and mount it to a solid point.

And if strenght is an issue.. the factor towhooks are directly on the sides of the rad ore support/frame, the hooks them selves are made of 10ga and hold up just fine pulling with a 1000lb strap. Your not towing the car out of the mud with the brakes locked up.. you could push the dang car on a truck with enough people. Those hooks look beefy enough.. they look to be atleast 5/16- 3/8 aluminum.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
King. In the second picture, is the whole black bumper thing made of metal? Can I bolt into that? And do I need to tap a hole or weld on a nut or something? Can I just drill a hole and screw the bolt from the tow hook into it?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or maybe I could drill a hole in the top radiator support and if I needed a tow, I could pop the hood and leave it cracked. Use a caribeaner to keep the hood from flying up. Is the top radiator support a strong enough part of the frame to tow from?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
the stock ones bolt to the bottom of the rad support...I wouldn't use the top part of it. I can't remember if the holes on the side of the lower support line up to come out the "grill" on the bottom, or through the fog light holes, but that's prolly the easiest way to go about it, I'd think...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking about just screwing into the bumper inside the front grill. But then I have to drill and tap holes:/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
842 Posts
I love seeing tow hooks sticking out the front bumper on cars that aren't even lowered. It's rice. Tow hooks are for lowered vehicles only. If your car isn't lowered then you don't need the additional tow hooks. Not saying it about this topic or anyone in particular just saying in general. The 626/MX6/Probe all have factory tow hooks that work just fine if your vehicle isn't lowered.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I am lowered and I have a 3.5 inch lip on the bottom of the car, making the hooks inaccessible. :( can't find a good way to mount a hook without drilling and tapping.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is our bumper solid? or is it like frame? how hard would it be to drill all the way through the front bumper, from the top, removing the plastic covers by the hood latch and drilling down from there?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. Ive ordered a screw in tow hook and I will thread it through the stock tow hooks underneath with a 90 degree metal elbow and a bolt. Will let you know how it goes

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
^I wish I vould like that comment! I was thinking the same thing...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

1 - 12mm x 1.75 bolt
2 - washers
3 - stock tow hook for factory tie down
4 - 12mm x 1.75 FF high strength compression elbow(steel etc)
5 - 12mm x 1.75 JDM Tow Hook y0(gives me VTEC) from s2k
6 - stock tow hook for factory tie down

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
all the force should be on the threads of the tow hook(5) and the bending strength of the #1 bolt. which should both exceed the 400 or whatever pounds of force needed to get a car moving in neutral. anyone have input?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts