Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Agreed. But will this be enough to pull my car home if/when of breaks down. Making it... "functional"? I hope so! Still hasn't arrived yet

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I finished it. It works. Ive tested it. I went with a different design all together. Ive got detailed pix to post up later.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tow Hook Completed

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
I Don't mean to be a critic here, but being a fabricator myself, I see some major design flass in that install.

First off, there is nothing securing it on the outside end. Unless this towhook is soley designed to pull the car forward, and only forward at a straight and level angle always.. your going to rip your ground effects off the bumper. Chances are you put it there in event something happens it can be towed onto a flatbed, or have a friend tow you home/to a shop. The first time you hook it to anything higher then the towhook , the thread rod is going to bend up and ruin your ground effect,paint. If being towed, the first turn you make, the rod will bend and rip off the ground effect.

Also that wiring, one of my biggest pet peves about modding cars.. Ill see this real nice cars on the outside, pop the hood, jack it up or even open the door and it looks like a 4yr old squirted silly string wires all over and ziptied them in a rat nest to some part of the car.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What you can't see well is that the threaded rod is resting against a bolt head so when you pull up on the rod, it is anchored against that. (Picture#4) I know a bolt head isnt the best thing. I may get a longer bolt for that to give the threaded rod a peg to push against.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did you seriously daisy chain those threaded rods together with female-female adapters?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sure did. Couldnt find a threaded rod the right length. Its functional so I'm happy!

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is a interesting thread! Being a tow truck owner, I would be iffy about that. I always look underneath cars that has tow hooks or not to see where is a secure place to put my J-hooks on to pull a car on my flatbed. I would tell you that I'm not responsible for any damage if your tow hook fails. Lowe's has 3-5ft threaded bolts or pole, whatever you want to call them that would be better to do this. Go thru your bumper and thru your frame where the radiator core support bolts on the frame, don't bolt it to the core support because it maybe bend it. And yes that is a little to low like somebody said. What if you left it on hanging and snag onto something going 60-80 mph. That would be ugly. But I do think every car should have hooks, because todays car suspension are made by tubing metal and cheap parts that I can't hook them without having different made hooks, like the T-hook, this goes in a slot in the frame rail.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Today I towed my car from the tow hook I made and it worked like a charm!!

So this did work. Even after getting in an accident where the tow hook was the first thing to hit a concrete wall, and it got all bent up, it was still strong enough to tow me home. I even had to go over a steep bridge. Got towed up, and had to use the brakes to slow the truck down on the other side of the bridge. It held strong. I'm pretty impressed by this little idea of mine :) the lip kit did get a little bent up but it is an easy fix.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts