Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local Dirt track is going to have a FWD class this next season. Sounds like a blast to me, something to do on saturday nights. My dad & his friends used to race there back before my time, so I figured this would be something we could do together before he gets too old to have fun. I know all the FWD cars are going to push really bad, some more than others (Push meaning you turn the wheel & the car goes straight). I was wondering how you all thought a mx6 would hold up. I'm not going to race mine, but I thought about getting an LS in bad shape & gutting the interrior. Would a v6 have an advantage over the lightweight civics & stuff? Or is the weight just going to make it push even worse? The banks are really steep btw. Thanks for the input guys.

G

·
Dang, I wish we had that here, would be cool to enter the '87 Corolla winterbeater into something like that.:D

BTW, your sig says you are looking for an LS that's looking for TLC, doesn't sound like you'll be the one giving that to it.:lol:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
yeah, a lot of input in the thread so far, lol
sorry i can't be of much use either, but really anxious to know as much as you are. too damn bad that doesn't help tho...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
pa

in pennsylvania we have had dirt track fwd for a while, it is a blast,i ran year before last alot of rules though..

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah there's going to be alot of rules here too. I've only heard them by word of mouth. At first they weren't going to let them run rear disk brakes. Don't ask me why, I don't see why you'll need rear disks on a dirt track. But you're not allowed to run an aftermarket engine either, I'm going to check & see if this apply's to JSPEC engines, cause you can swap engines, as long as it came out of a similar car. You can bolt on anything you want I believe. I've never driven a turbo car, but I don't think that'd be the way to go because I think it'd be hard to maintain control when you hit the powerband.
BTW, your sig says you are looking for an LS that's looking for TLC, doesn't sound like you'll be the one giving that to it.
You are correct! :D

in pennsylvania we have had dirt track fwd for a while, it is a blast,i ran year before last alot of rules though..
Did you run an mx6?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think "push" is an understatement. :D

Tell the owner of the track to paint the outside wall white and at the end of the season count how many different colors are on the wall. :lol:

That way you could hold a raffle like "How many jelly beans are in the jar"!!!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The right tires will help. I've been in a few rallys with FWD cars. Specifically Saabs. You're gonna need all the traction you can get. The weight in front may actually help. Make sure you get a roll cage in this thing. I wouldn't mention it as a KLZE and no one will know. And whats the deal with the brakes? Can you have discs or no?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
dont laugh

by the way the car i ran last was an omni glh then a daytona both did well.oh yeah you WILL crash or be run into a cage is a must..have you ever considered demo derbys i run those also...whats next,well they started a school bus class last year...hmm.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Maybe making the rear as light as possible would help??

Or sh!tty tires on the rear and good tires on the front;)

It does sound like fun, It would be fun in my friends 85 Celica.........haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts