Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can i get material to change my gague illumination from green to blue? This look would kick ass in my car, with the red accents and needles... It's going to difficult, yes, but nothing that hasn't been done before. I just have no clue what screen goes over the panel to create the different colors.

Taking off the dials for speedo and tach are prolly gonna be a bitch...

lataz...

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I made my white faced gauges I had a problem because they didn't allow light through from the back like the stock ones do. So I had to move the bulbs in front of the gauge faces. I bought blue bulbs at O'rielley's auto parts. They fit into the stock bulb holders. The one problem you will come across is the gauges are tinted to make white light look green. So even if you get blue bulbs the light coming through will appear green because of the tint. You will need to put the bulbs to the front if you want to change the color to blue. Good luck, lets see some pics when you are done!

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you make your own white face gauges out of photopaper, go buy some clear plexi-glass the thickness of the stock gauges. Trace them onto it and cut them out, use a rotary tool, its alot easier to cut with. Take out the factory gauges, place the plexi-glass behind the white gauges and get some colored bulbs. I put red bulbs in mine and it looks bad ass. You could also get the indiglow efect if you use blue bulbs. Try it out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I changed the factory orange needles to white protege ones. it wasnt easy, but I removed the needles from the holders on both displays and swaped them on with some hot glue...it looks good now!! U should try it!

peace

·
Registered
379 Posts
Don't worry, we won't disrespect you

...to your face. :D

J/K! *ducks*

·
Registered
261 Posts
I ripped them out of a 1990 Protege (323) in the junkyard... they will fit right over the 626 ones. You can swap the needles alone if u dont want to have that big black circle in the middle.

·
Registered
287 Posts
In regards to the post of not being about to change the tint of the illumination...this is untrue. I did it. There are three bulbs that light everything. They're just the 154 style bulb that are clear, and have green caps on them. So just get blue 154 style bulbs and change em. Once you get your cluster out and unscrew one of the blubs (two of which are behind the brown circuit board), it will all make sense.

Ryan

·
Registered
287 Posts
I got mine at a speed shop here for $5 a pair, had to buy two pair cause you need 3 bulbs. Check around online, I got the APC bulbs, they're pretty popular.

Ryan

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i am finally getting around to swapping the bulbs, and i was wondering if there was anything i needed to know before i started. Is there any risk of damaging my cluster?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes there is risk...but only the speedometer head. It is imperative that you disconnect the speedometer cable from the transmission first (in the engine compartment), then pull the cluster out. Everything else is pretty durable...just don't drop it. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts