Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CardinalBiggles said:
Just derailing here (and hopefully not over a roundabout :eek: ). I'm looking for new boot gas struts for my MX - have you had much luck sourcing them here in Adelaide? I'd be interested in hearing how you got on.

I'm also really interested in hearing about anyone here in SA who knows of Mazda-sympathetic mechanics who know what the hell they're doing with an MX (2nd gen). I've had one recommendation for Mazdas in general, but I'd be interested in hearing what you've experienced.

Cheers,
AnnMarie
Ive heard of some companies that re gas your old struts. Should be in the yellow pages, I know I need mine done

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Got mine replaced last year by Strut Regas, cost about $120 all up, and he came to me. Damn stiff now, takes a bit of force to shut the boot. I don't think they regas the 2nd gen ones. The guy said they were a bad design or something.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ribfeast said:
Got mine replaced last year by Strut Regas, cost about $120 all up, and he came to me.
Had I known, I'd have driven back to Adelaide via Newcastle and had them done on the way ;) I'd rather it be reluctant to shut than the current "crocodile" situation - slow to open, quick to snap shut on any limbs you leave behind inside.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ribfeast said:
Got mine replaced last year by Strut Regas, cost about $120 all up, and he came to me. Damn stiff now, takes a bit of force to shut the boot.
I got mine regassed by my Mazda dealer for $80 ! :eek: I also have to force the boot down to close it. Hmmm, maybe Mazda dealers aren't always the most expensive.

·
Registered
534 Posts
CardinalBiggles said:
Had I known, I'd have driven back to Adelaide via Newcastle and had them done on the way ;) I'd rather it be reluctant to shut than the current "crocodile" situation - slow to open, quick to snap shut on any limbs you leave behind inside.
There is a guy down at glenelg who will regass both rear struts for $80. The mazda dealerships I spoke to here were going to charge $120 to regass both struts, and $120 EACH to buy new ones..

The guy down at glenelg runs the company:
STRUT RE-GAS SA
131 Augusta St Glenelg East Ph/Fax 5045 (08) 8295 5596

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Remember these were replaced not regassed. And he came onsite to me, I didn't have to take the car anywhere. He said there was some design flaw in the stock ones that they would leak, hence why he replaced them.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Jasonius said:
There is a guy down at glenelg who will regass both rear struts for $80. The mazda dealerships I spoke to here were going to charge $120 to regass both struts, and $120 EACH to buy new ones..
Cool! Thanks heaps for that... we're not sure if regassing will fix the problem, but it sounds promising. It's likely that the same guy will have contacts on replacing if it's necessary as well.

Out of curiosity, Jasonius - where do you take your MX to get it serviced?

Mind you, I need to take her through Regency first before I start thinking about any of that :) *fingers crossed*

Ribfeast - you lucky sod :) If I could get someone to come to me for that price, I'd do it right now.

G

·
Hey guys, as mentioned before, I have 2 gas struts on my 6 in perfect working order that I have no need of anymore.......!!!!
They are stock but there is no gas leakage at all.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Smerf said:
Hey guys, as mentioned before, I have 2 gas struts on my 6 in perfect working order that I have no need of anymore.......!!!!
They are stock but there is no gas leakage at all.
Cool! What will you sell them to me for? Also, if your steering wheel is in good nick I'll buy that off you (and the TPS) Drop me a PM if you get a sec!

Cheers,

Jase

·
Registered
652 Posts
Smerf wrote
I figured that Jase had baggsies, so I didn't want to yoink them out from under him :D If that doesn't work out, sing out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
do you guy's know what Newton Meter's of force for the stock MX-6 Gen 2 boot struts are cos it doesn't say on the sticker on the boot struts and i need to replace them i won't regas as it's cheaper to buy new aftermarket one for only $60 I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT FORCE they are supose to be i have tried one's that are 360 NM but they were still a little tuff and the boot would not open from the pull of the boot release lever inside the cabin. thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When the ones on my mx6 went a guy sent them down to melbourne to get regased for $50 and now I assume they work like new. Besides, what ever you have to pay it won't hurt as much as coping the boot in the back of your head :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts