Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did it last night, that has to be the !^&%*#@ worst maintenance job on that car. There is no way you can only do that job from the top. I found out that I had to take the wheel off and a couple of screws for the plastic mud guard so I could get at that lower clamp. They sure put that filter in a baaaad place.... by the way you can relieve the pressure in the system by un-screwing your gas cap...later

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was planning on doing that this weekend, for the first time ever. Sorry you had such a difficult time. I heard that the bottom clamp is the hardest to get off, while the top is relatively a piece of cake. Did a lot of gas spill out when you took the filter out?

PS I found a useful link from the Probe SPOC website:
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~po784694/maint.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About a cup of gas came out when I dis-connected the bottom hose. When you open the gas cap to relieve the system pressure put it back on so that the gas wont flow do to gravity when you dis-connect the lower hose.
You have to twist the hose after you remove the clamps so that the hose will slide off . I started by removing the cruise control first, then dis-connected the top hose clamptop hose. Then I removed the 2 nuts that hold the entire fuel filter bracket these are the virtical ones not the horizontal ones on the bracket its self. Next I removed the front left wheel and the plastic mud guard. you then can get at the lower clamp and remove it. I then pulled the whole bracket and fuel filter out the top. Do the rest in reverse order and check your brakes and CV joint boot at the same time... later

1 - 4 of 4 Posts