Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed when the car's sitting and idling, it tends to smell like gas. Doesn't matter if it's warmed up or not, it's just something I always smell if I'm sitting at a light with the windows down, or if I'm letting the car warm up for a minute first thing in the morning. I asked my mechanic to look it over a while ago and he didn't find anything wrong, so I pretty much ignore it. But it really shouldn't do that, right? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
If you are missing your catalytic converter, and / or precats, your exhaust will smell rich.
How's your MPG? Could also bea small leak somewhere.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Does the car have an absnormally rusted under body? I would take a glance at the fuel filler neck where it comes out below the car to see if it (or the vapor recovery tube attached to it) were rusted out. This is not a common problem for the 2g though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine does the same thing... I have just attributed it to the o2 sensors and EGR OBDI errors that I am throwing.

Does that not make it run constantly rich, having unburnt gas to deal with?

James

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
There is always going to be unburnt gas. Your cat should deal with that though unless you are EXTREMELY rich.

A non-working EGR will not cause your exhaust to smell like gas.

However, fauly O2's stuck on the lean side could cause your car to richen... but it would not smell like gas regardless.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gas mileage is fine, about 26-27 mpg. The car has practically no rust on it, and nothing on the fuel filler neck. No error codes either. Maybe it's just the car's poltergeist. :shrug:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
There is always going to be unburnt gas. Your cat should deal with that though unless you are EXTREMELY rich.

A non-working EGR will not cause your exhaust to smell like gas.

However, fauly O2's stuck on the lean side could cause your car to richen... but it would not smell like gas regardless.
Crap... Thanks for straightening me out on that.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
ChicagoGirl96M said:
Gas mileage is fine, about 26-27 mpg. The car has practically no rust on it, and nothing on the fuel filler neck. No error codes either. Maybe it's just the car's poltergeist. :shrug:
I'd say to try and find it then. Just park the car with it running, pop the hood, and see where the smell is coming from. I would think you'd find it stronger near wherever the leak is.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yeah, that. Best places to check will be where the fuel lines connect to the fuel rails, and to the fuel filter. There are little hose clamps that hold the fuel lines on. The one connection to the fuel rails will have two brass washers on it. One on either side of the fuel line where the "banjo" bolt goes thru it. IIR it is a 17 mm wrench for that bolt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ok im new at this and also from UK. I recently purchased a project Mx6 Espec i say project because it was an insurance write off for a dented bonnet wing and broke headlight why i'll never know. But anyway to the question I used to smell petrol when at idle since failig my MOT on emmisions I replaced the O2 sensors which was causing my car to run rich thus according to the mechanic causing the petrol smell. I also changed the oil and oil filter becasue it had a lot of petrol in it still causing the car to run rich. Since doing this i no longer have the petrol smell.

Hope this helps with your problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts