Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So i need to change my fuel pump, but I don't wanna drop my tank. I was wondering if anyone had a diagram of the tank, or if they know where the pump is located above the tank so i can just cut a hole into my floor and get at it from up top/in the car.

Karma for quick help!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Reactions: JoeyV

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did that work out for you?

I have to replace my fuel pump as well and was wondering if that made it less of a pain. Also if it was successful do you have any pics of where about more exactly and how big of a cut you made in your floor?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i'm a bit curious as to what u cut it with. cutting metal with dremel = change cutting disc every 30 seconds.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
i'm a bit curious as to what u cut it with. cutting metal with dremel = change cutting disc every 30 seconds.
Try the reinforced ones. They cost about the same as the 20 pack of crappy ones and you only get 4. They're metal reinforced. :tup:

I'd be concerned with cutting using anything that will spark... just in case a pump O-Ring is leaking gas vapors outside the tank.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't done it yet. Gonna be doing it on Sunday. I'll try to bring my cam to film/take pics. I'll be careful to try and get a rag on the tank before i start cutting...just in case, thanks for the heads up though Fastest95PGT. :tup:

EDIT: I'll tape it off, when taped off, it shouldn't spark. right?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Haven't done it yet. Gonna be doing it on Sunday. I'll try to bring my cam to film/take pics. I'll be careful to try and get a rag on the tank before i start cutting...just in case, thanks for the heads up though Fastest95PGT. :tup:

EDIT: I'll tape it off, when taped off, it shouldn't spark. right?
Tape or not, I'd expect it to spark.

Also, to help you really narrow down where you need the hole, I'd suggest poking a couple holes with a drill bit. Careful not to fall through the tank once it goes through. One for a flash light, the other for your eye.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
what do you plan on doing with this hole when you're done? Welding it back shut? Cutting near the gas tank is one thing, welding also though...

·
Registered
578 Posts
^ Just screw a plate over the hole with self-tapping screws. Use the cut-out as a template but just make the replacement slightly bigger. No biggie. Most other cars work that way. I am thinking of doing this myself.

Reactions: Fastest95PGT

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Wow that's lazy.
Depends on the condition of the bolts holding the tank up.

When I had a mechanic back around 2002, they said $100 to change the pump. I was all over that so I didn't have to drop it in my driveway. They said 2 of the nuts welded on the topside of the frame were rusted off. That made a B for re-assembly. Glad I didn't do it myself.

This being said, I'd never take the risk myself and I'd cut a hole in the top just like this guy's suggesting. :tup:
what do you plan on doing with this hole when you're done? Welding it back shut? Cutting near the gas tank is one thing, welding also though...
Leave the hole. No one sits in the middle and the rear cushion is pretty stiff. Doubt anyone will ever notice.

I guess the only thing you might notice is additional noise coming through the hole. At which point, put a couple layers of dynamat over it. Maybe one layer of dynamat, the piece you cut out, and another... so it'd be similar to how it was without actually being perm.

Heck, put some hinges on it and make it a door. Put some sort of latch on the non-hinge side to hold it closed and keep it from rattling.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gonna make a plate slightly bigger than the hole and screw it down. I'm not lazy, the bolts are rusted off like Fastest said. My car is stripped so, noise isn't a problem, i got sound coming in from all over the place.

Thanks for the support Fastest!:tup:

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Props to Davro as well for suggesting a larger plate fastened with self tapping screws. I don't personally have material to make it out of laying around, but that's definitely a good idea if you do.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A friend of mine did this to a ford explorer the he has as soon as he told me all i could think was "lazy ass *******" I mean this kid drove a tractor to school for show and tell day but then he told me that he did it in like 25-30 min and he as well did the lager plate and when he put it back he sealed it with black RTV and it looks pretty good so i say hats off go for it.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
A friend of mine did this to a ford explorer the he has as soon as he told me all i could think was "lazy ass *******" I mean this kid drove a tractor to school for show and tell day but then he told me that he did it in like 25-30 min and he as well did the lager plate and when he put it back he sealed it with black RTV and it looks pretty good so i say hats off go for it.
Don't forget this one is under the rear seats. So despite what it might look like, if you have seats, no one will ever see it.

The 1g has an access door to the pump from the factory.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't really like the idea of cutting above a fuel tank , sparks is a danger but so is the heat generated from cutting it and if there is oil/grease were ur cutting there's a small chance it could ignite. if i were to do this and the fuel tank bracket bolts were rusted i would cut the bolts drill a hole through the original bolt place and put new bolts. Then i would mark and cut the hole in the floor .This is much safer and if a fire were to start it wouldn't be easy to extinguish it between the floor and the fuel tank.

If you do go through with your method disconnect ur battery just for extra safety incase u nick a wire. fire extuinguisher etc...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts