Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey my friend who also has a mx6 says that were soposed to use 91 octain or higher.i use the cheap stuff.whats the deal?v6 95

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
macchew2 said:
hey my friend who also has a mx6 says that were soposed to use 91 octain or higher.i use the cheap stuff.whats the deal?v6 95
macchew2,

My 1994 PGT allegedly "requires" premium fuel (the manual I think recommends 92, filler door has a sticker reminding attendant/me of this requirement.)

This is only a recommendation to get best performance from the engine, not what it actually needs. The V6, with its pent-roof combustion chambers and relatively mild 9.2:1 compression ratio isn't much given to detonation, so 94 octane is likely overkill.

The engine management system includes a knock sensor which will inform the PCM of detonation and the PCM will reduce spark advance as a result. You won't damage the engine by using, say, 89 octane gas, but this fuel is more prone to autoignition and when it does, you'll lose a bit of oomph as the PCM retards the timing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Make sure to use premium fuel if you have a performance chip.

·
Registered
475 Posts
the debate goes on in the ny/nj forum.
Anyway according to one guy who graduated from mazda school, Mazda now doesnt advize using any higher than 89 octane for the V6 because of carbon build up. But if u run engine nice and hard every so often you should be able shoot that nasty carbon out of there.
I personally use premium because my cars seems to idle oddly and not run as nicely with the cheap stuff in there.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
483 Posts
allworldkj said:
the debate goes on in the ny/nj forum.
Anyway according to one guy who graduated from mazda school, Mazda now doesnt advize using any higher than 89 octane for the V6 because of carbon build up. But if u run engine nice and hard every so often you should be able shoot that nasty carbon out of there.
I personally use premium because my cars seems to idle oddly and not run as nicely with the cheap stuff in there.

just my 2 cents.
you are right my friend, I just went to mazda yesterday and they explained to me yesterday on how the 93's had carbon knock problems...well, I have a 95 so anyhow, the man told me to run the car hard like at 2am he also added the v6 likes to run hard. ;)

Anthony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts