Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my 1991 mx6 was seeping oil ever so slightly from the block near the crankcase, or the crankshaft, whatever its called, which i was told is an indication of a bad gasket, the car consumed oil a bit, but doesnt blow smoke...the other day i was driving and all of a sudden a loud noise came from the engine, almost like a really bad exhuast leak, but from the engine. im guessing its the gasket...does anyone else have an idea what it could be? or if it is the gasket how much it will be for a repair at a garage? just curious...thanks

G

·
It could be time to change your valve cover gasket. Over time the rubbery material in the gasket has a tendency to break down. The gasket itself does't cost much and is simple to install. As for the noise you heard... I am unsure exaclty what it may be, but typical exhaust leak will continually be heard if it is coming from the exhaust manifold. A typical repiar for this runs in the neighborhood of $250-$350 depending upon if the manifold studs do not break on removal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im in the process of trading in for a new cylinder head and yes, its a bitch when those studs break (or in my case they broke of the cylinder head and the studs on the header were stripped so I was screwed double the amount). Anyway, in order to answer your question I have a couple questions. This is a first gen right??? and you said it was in the area of your crankcase or crankshaft area right??? If so then it couldn't be your valve cover, (I'm not saying your valve cover isn't leaking, I'm just saying I don't think this is your problem right now), because your valve cover is on top of your engine covering your valves, camshaft and the top part of your cylinder head. It could be your crankcase gasket or your cylinder block gasket. It's just my guess but theres my $.02.

P.S. If I'm right your better of not doing the job yourself unless you have some car buddy's or your really good about taking your whole engine apart.

Peace

·
Registered
345 Posts
if u hear hear exhaust noise when car is cold or your car is just loud on cold it is your exhaust manifold gasket/studs that hold down the exhaust manifold. My mx 6 and i'm pretty sure other ppl here on this post had the same problem at some time especially the gt. Takes a lotta work to get those sucker out of there. 1st no space other they are just a plain bitch. $10-25 in parts but a lot of time to take care of it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gasket problem revisted.

turns out it wasnt the gasket but the pipe coming off of the cat. converter rusted out and detached from the cat. thus the loud noise, i tried a bit with exchuast bandage but no real inprovement...i think im going to resort to using duct tape next :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
You could try that but most likely its going to burn off because the duct tape can't handle high temps like exhaust bandages can.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my wacky duct tape idea has held up pretty good for the past few days, despite a slightly awful stench from the burning, but other than that...its a decent temp. fix :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts