Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the deal... I was installing the indiglos in my car and broke off the rpm needle. Mazda wanted $570 US for parts alone to replace the whole cluster in 95 MX6 V6 mtx. I told them to get a clue and hung up. I went to a junk yard and bought a 93 4cyl atx gauge cluster for $50. They told me that this cluster will work in my 6cyl mtx. Is this true? I got a second opinion and they said it wil work too.

My questions are this...

1) Is the gas tank smaller on a 4cyl than a 6cyl and if so does this affect my gas tank reading?
2) The new 6cyl mtx indiglos will go over the old 4cyl readings, so will the new rpm gauge work or spin okay like it should?
3) Will the car appear to be running hot or cold due to different car temps both engines have?
4) Am i freaking out for no reason?
5) Did I waste 50 bucks?

please respond asap if at all possible ANYONE who might know.

laslty, what do i do about the mileage being off. It's like 2500 miles off from mine. What should I do?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
hey man can i ask a quick question - got my gauges on.... were you actually able to get them to light up ? i'm pretty sure i have the wiring correct - i used the "a" and "b" wires on the legftmost harness, which are orange (silver dot) and grey respectively...

these are the "illum" + and - wires...

where did you wire yours?

anyways, i was able to get my needles off without as problem, but mine spins about 1000rpm quicker now.. i'll be taking it off anyways to get the indiglows working.. (lol and those directions are useless arent they)

thanks in advance

and by the way, yes the gauges will work... the previous owner's car was broken into, and the dash vandalized... and he got a 6cyl atx replacement cluster (its a 4 cyl atx)

there are little differences... he thinks the rpm is a little off... but beyond that - fuel, temp etc are fine.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you goat (refuse to call you crapp passed this one time typing it) for the info. The wires to hoom it up to are on this link...

http://www.mx6.com/newmx6/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9722

or you can tap into the red/black wire so it comes on with your parking lights. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. I have yet to wire it b/c the shop that has my gauge cluster has yet to return it to me with he indiglos on.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
haha well goat is fine - many people have an aversion to crapp :p

good luck with the indiglos.. one last thing i forgot to mention.. since you are replacing a mtx cluster with an atx one, check if the parts of the harness (most likely those specific wires are missing from your harness) that control the gear selection lights need to be an open or closed circuit... I havent had this with my mx6 since it was an atx-->atx swap, but i know on some jeeps the circuit would need to be "paperclip" closed so they all didnt stay lit.

just thought i would mention it, if you get them in and the gear lights stay lit.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the gear lights would be covered up by the indiglos so i won't be able to see them. The auto and manual harnesses looked the exact same when i was looking at the atx harness as we pulled it out from the junkyard. I think the wiring will be the same... hopefully!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
aggie, I honestly don't know if this will work or not. The tach may be out of calibration: I don't know for sure but I don't think full-scale deflection on the FS tach is 8000RPM like it is for the KL. If not, the tachs may have different springs and your new one may read "high". Idle may be close but 6000RPM might be off.

I also don't know if the FS and KL water temp sensors are the same. Common sense says they should be, but you never know.

Most other stuff should work.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you mean deflection do mean my car will not rev past 6000rpm. I'm a bit confused.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
hey aggie, thanks a lot for clearing up the wiring for me - appreciate it. everything works wonderfully now, and it really looks nice!

appreciate it
-Steve

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
aggiedj02 said:
when you mean deflection do mean my car will not rev past 6000rpm. I'm a bit confused.
No. Sorry I wasn't clear. I haven't seen a 4-cyl instrument cluster but lets say the tach is labeled such that the red-zone begins at 6500 and the last number on the tach is '7' (7000RPM). On the 6-cyl model, the red starts at 7000 and the last digit is '8' (8000RPM). I'll assume that both tachs have needle sweeps that cover the same number of degrees (so the gauges look right in the car...)

This means that when your motor is spinning at, say, 7000RPM, the 4-cyl tach would be further along in its arc (at the end in fact) than the 6-cyl tach would be (which would normally be 7/8s of the arc). When you put the artwork for the 6-cyl tach in place, the tach needle would be pointing at the last digit - 8000RPM, even though the engine is only at 7000. I know this already happens to a degree, but it'll be way worse. In no way will the instrument cluster affect the way the engine runs.

I might be wrong about this: try it out and let us know.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow!!! I'm a first to try somthing in the mx6.com world... that's kinda cool. Not that it means anything if it does work besides saving me 100s of dollars.

I'll let you know tomorrow by the way after i get it back and plugged in.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well according to Mazda (and the garage that was fixing my gauges for me) the 4cyl atx gauge cluster is calibrated wrong for the 6 cyl mtx. So i went back and traded my 4cyl cluster with a 6cyl atx 626 cluster which is the exact same as a 6cyl MX6 atx cluster.

So now anyone, I would like to know if the swap between the 6cyl atx to 6cyl mtx will work on the gauges?

Also, my car will need to be rolled back to the proper mileage. This cluster has 95000 miles on it compared to my 60000. Value of my car just hardcore dropped!

I need to know all of this ASAP because I need my car back since school has started back for me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In the future when removing needles use a fork to lift the needles off the gauges. It insures even pressure, just pull straight up with it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was installing the indiglos in my car and broke off the rpm needle.
This may not be possible but can u not just swap the needle of the replacement cluster and fix your original V6 MTX cluster that way. Sounds a whole lot easier than going through all that trouble just for one needle.:confused:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the rpm needle couldn't be fixed b/c the plastic that holds it in place broke off with it and the housing that spins the needle got jammed when I broke it off. It essentailly ruined the whole rpm gauge. However, the atx 626 V6 cluster worked fine when I plugged it in, and I got off with just $50 more than I wanted to spend. Now all I have to do is set the mileage to the correct amount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts