Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to get around to redoing my gauge cluster lighting. I have 2 problems. I've been using green LED's so far and I don't know if I should stick with green or change to white. Only problem with white is that I have to mod the climate control. White LED's are very clean yet green looks good with my silver dash.

More importantly, I need help finding a good LED that is a direct fit into the gauge cluster. (Plug and play LED peanut bulb. I don't feel like custom wiring LEDs anymore.) It needs to be bright and the light needs to be UNIFORM. (That's very important.)

Any recommendations on the LED bulb style?

I don't want this where you get hot spots.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I guess I have some experience in this area. I buy replacement led's from www.autolumination.com Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs.

There are a lot of different styles so you need to make sure of the dimensions that will fit in a stock cluster before you buy anything. I bought these (194 section of the site I listed about halfway down the page) for my red cluster and there were dark spots that required me to do some custom work.

I am sure that there are other ones on there that would provide much more uniform light but I haven't tried any other as of yet.

As far as converting the climate control I have one that I just converted to white if you are interested but I need to locate another one to swap the guts into because I broke the casing while I was trying to do some other custom work on it.

It's this exact unit. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at that website earlier.

Those LEDs you mentioned; I'm using them in my side markers. I just wasn't too sure how well they would look in a tight spot like the gauge cluster. I was also thinking of painting my gauge cluster chrome (the inside) to reflect the light in an attempt to spread light more evenly. I have one spare gauge cluster to play with but I'm only ripping apart my dash once so I need to make sure I have all the parts ready.

I'll let you know about the climate control in a bit. I need to decide if I want to use white or green first and if I want to using my climate control that has dials instead of the standard one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used white high power led on my Mazada6 2004 black that make the car more attractive,:p . Better that the led should match your car color. I prefer white and blue for my black.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts