Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is leaking from where the axle goes into the driver's side of the gearbox. can i replace a gasket there, or do i need to buy a whole setup. what do i need to do to stop this?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
It's a bit of a PITA:

- remove the axle shaft from the gearbox
- pry the old seal out
- press the new seal in
- re-install the axle shaft into the gearbox

Those four steps sound fairly simple but getting the axle out of the gearbox requires, at the very least, disconnecting the lower ball joint on the driver's side control arm, likely the tie-rod end joint and carefully prying the shaft out of the housing. Be sure not to exceed any joint angles while working on it (e.g. support the shaft with wire while it's out of the gearbox) and don't pull or push the slip-joint too far to avoid the thing falling to bits.

Get some fresh trans oil before starting and double check the level when you're done to replace any lost to the leak and to replenish whatever may have leaked out as you worked.

Good luck,

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the tips. is this a DIY job or how long would a shop take for this?

also i recently replaced my fluid with durablend semi-synthetic. it didn't seem to make much of a difference. should i just use regular dino stuff or semi. i'd hafta order the redline MTL and it would be about $23 for that stuff compared to $9-13 for dino or semi.

thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts