Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lads you new it was only a matter of time b4 i posted another thread on gearboxes and here you go :)

Driving the car the last two days the second handgearbox it started to get jumpy gearchanges, it seems like the old gearbox prob has hit this one two!!!!! ive only done around 250miles with this gearbox!
this is how it goes :
changes from 1st to 2nd gear ok it goes up to about 2000rpm
changes from 2nd to 3rd gear judders and goes past 3500rpm
change from 3rd to 4th gear stays over 4000rpm then goes down after a while.................
Kickdown is working again, all the gears are doing there job ie park,S,D,N etc but inbetween gears its not right and the idle is high, but where as it stayed up before on revs this time going at 60mph the revs drop to 3000rpm...........
All strange............it seems as if the gears are slipping or if its holding gear too long!

So what do i do nxt?
I got the second hand gearbox for £375 off www.1stchoice.com then the garage i got to fit it told me it would cost £200-£250 they ended up charging me £460 due to it taking longer than expected!!!!!!! , then it got an oil hose leak fixed that then the driveshaft seal went so fixed that............The reason i used that garage was because they were cheap doing my water pump and cam belt change! Anyway ive got this gearbox now in my car which has a 60day garentee........... so i could get it replaced under warrenty but a garage is going to sting me for fitting it etc prob another £400 :( or i could take it to a place and get it diagnosed for around £80, but then even to fix it it may cost in the hundreds! What would you do????? :(
I no dump the car :)
G-force dont say a word!!!!!!!!! :):D

Stu

·
Registered
300 Posts
Stuey

It seems to me that you've got more bad luck with the car.

I say have it diagnosed and then if you must have it removed and send it back for the warranty this way you will be sure that the company you bought it from will try to screw you.

Good luck m8

·
Registered
768 Posts
Stuey i hate to say it mate, it sounds to me like the problems i had with my original Seat GTI, do you remember that? Gearbox, clutch, catalic converter, heat shield all going at once or one after another due to the mechanics not being able to do their job properly (surprise surprise!!)

but remember fella i stuck in there, shouted and screamed and remember after it had all been fixed and replaced several times, i had no problems with it what so ever, very reliable and strong car after that

so stick with it mate, it will get sorted eventually, just i think when you change one thing on the car it upsets a series of other things on the car which were on there way out anyway

so once you have replaced and sorted out all the little things then get the gearbox done, i am sure it will all be fine matey!

but remember not to spend more money on maintaining the car in a short while then what you actually paid for it!!

you have to ask yourslef after a while, if the problems keep on persisting, there has to be a point where you cut loose as the money spent on fixing the car is starting to far outweigh the amount you bought it for

Good luck mate!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Stuart

Sorry to hear about the box again m8.

1st take it to a place that only does auto boxes m8, not a cheap garage have it looked at as soon as, then if it is fu*ked, get ready for the fun, cause the place you got it from is prob gonna try and get outta this m8, i can hear them now "oh who fitted the box for you, they musta damaged it as it was fine when it left here", all that crap m8.

Like Tony says it ain't a bottomless pit of money you and your Mom have so near that time to think about another route m8, auto boxes are VERY expensive to be repaired by the right people, ask Mike (Chastiser) he worked for 1.

best of lucky m8

Andy

·
Registered
768 Posts
BeDlaM said:
Stuart

Like Tony says it ain't a bottomless pit of money you and your Mom have so near that time to think about another route m8, auto boxes are VERY expensive to be repaired by the right people, ask Mike (Chastiser) he worked for 1.

best of lucky m8

Andy
Well put mate

right now the car is still in positive equity for the amount of money you bought it for, and the amount you have spent on it excl. alloys and tints, i mean servicing etc

but remember, keep spending money on gearboxs, garages, getting it checked out, the car then becomes it negative equity. Negative equity i mean, too much money being spent on keeping the car running etc.

My friend had the same problem with his XR21 (OK OK so its a ford but the same principal applies!!) he had so many problems with his clutch, arguing with the garage, keep revisiting the garage, and it never got fixed, in the end he had to call it a day, and stop spending money on it as he had lost too much money on it by then and had to think hard about investing his money into another car which would require minimal running costs etc.

I know you love the car Stuey, hell i really like it alot as well, it looks great, but there comes a point where and as much as i hate to say it, its literally wasting money and pouring money down the drain on a problem which is never gonna be fixed.

Think of the money spent on this, when say you could save the money trying to repair this and spend it on something similar

like a Calibra 2.5 V6, or a Vauxhall vectra GSI 2.5 V6, ok ok so those are bad examples but i cant think of many other cars with the same engines, guys help me out on this one please?

Been looking on Autotrader for 2.5 V6 any cars up to £5000, i know its a vauxhall, friend had one, good cars, just the vauxhall badge thats all!!

anyway, suggestions anyone please?:)

·
Registered
768 Posts
What about a Mondeo ST24, good cars, leather interior, air con etc.

seens a nice one for sale on Autotrader 4995, silver, ST24 Sport kit on, 17's!!

Please don't flame me for saying a Mondeo!:p

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep thanx lads hearing you loud and clear,
iam in two minds weather to put it away in a mates garage and play with it when i have time and money and get a £300 metro or sumthing thats cheap to insure, cheap tax, loadsa miles to the gallon!
Or scrap it and call it a day sell the alloys etc plus take windows out and sell them LOL

or fix it and then sell it

or keep it and keep fingers crossed, but if i did that id get a cheap runaround and try and save money iam not sure wot to do!!

Stu

·
Registered
768 Posts
StuartMX6 said:
Yep thanx lads hearing you loud and clear,
iam in two minds weather to put it away in a mates garage and play with it when i have time and money and get a £300 metro or sumthing thats cheap to insure, cheap tax, loadsa miles to the gallon!
Or scrap it and call it a day sell the alloys etc plus take windows out and sell them LOL

or fix it and then sell it

or keep it and keep fingers crossed, but if i did that id get a cheap runaround and try and save money iam not sure wot to do!!

Stu
Stuey, looked what happened when i spent £1800 on the RS, it was a disaster!!

unfortunately there is no such thing as a cheap run arround!! you pay £300 for a car cos its more trouble that its worth and a waste of £300 and its that price cos its a heap of crap, it's better to spend 3-4K on a car, something which will be in better condition and more reliable (hopefully!!)

remember a car is an investment mate, you always buy a car, pay it off and sell it, with some money left over for a deposit on the next car, that way you slwoly move up the chain of better and better cars

spending money on a £300 car, will only bring trouble, and no money left over when you go to buy another as the car will only be good for scrap metal!!

personally i would see how yours goes over the next few months, if the problem still aint sorted by then, perhaps it is time to cal it a day mate......:(

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Stuart

If you want to get this car on the road and want to keep it, then take it to someplace that specializes in auto boxes bite the bullet, and get it sorted once and for all.

Not sure if i totally agree with tony on the buying cars and selling them, i have never bought a car spent money on it through choice and sold it for a profit.

And thats us doing all the work on them, most people buy a car then add alloys, tints, CAI, and whatever through personal choice.

But this outlay very seldom adds value to the cars original price when it was bought. If the car is 10 years old then there's very little that someone can do to change that fact.

Simple fact is that new cars and finance can be got so easy and sometimes on good terms

·
Registered
768 Posts
BeDlaM said:
Stuart

If you want to get this car on the road and want to keep it, then take it to someplace that specializes in auto boxes bite the bullet, and get it sorted once and for all.

Not sure if i totally agree with tony on the buying cars and selling them, i have never bought a car spent money on it through choice and sold it for a profit.

And thats us doing all the work on them, most people buy a car then add alloys, tints, CAI, and whatever through personal choice.

But this outlay very seldom adds value to the cars original price when it was bought. If the car is 10 years old then there's very little that someone can do to change that fact.

Simple fact is that new cars and finance can be got so easy and sometimes on good terms
sorry i didn't mean sell for a profit mate, sorry i meant buy a car, pay off the loan or outstanding amount on it as quick as possible, so when you do sell it the money you get for it is yours and can be used for your next car without having to pay off any outstanding finance.

i know from my Seat, i spend mega amounts of money on it, modifying it etc but i never got it back when selling it though!!

i think the bottom line is, from what me and Bedlam are saying is, dont waste too much money on it mate trying to keep it going, just be sensible mate.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Spoke to the place that suppleyed the gearbox, ive also got another garage that will take out the old gear box and put in the new one for £250(ill get it in writing)!!!!
The gearbox place said once ive got the gearbox out there collect it, then take it back to them then send out a new one!! so there keeping to there word with the garentee! So it will cost an extra £250 on top of what i have paid!Not as bad as 1st thought!
as long as the replacement is ok!

prob didnt help when oil hose split and my gearbox prob ran dry of oil mayb that didnt help!

Stu

·
Registered
768 Posts
StuartMX6 said:
Ok Spoke to the place that suppleyed the gearbox, ive also got another garage that will take out the old gear box and put in the new one for £250(ill get it in writing)!!!!
The gearbox place said once ive got the gearbox out there collect it, then take it back to them then send out a new one!! so there keeping to there word with the garentee! So it will cost an extra £250 on top of what i have paid!Not as bad as 1st thought!
as long as the replacement is ok!

prob didnt help when oil hose split and my gearbox prob ran dry of oil mayb that didnt help!

Stu
Wicked mate, finally some progress:)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Stuart

Make sure you get this new place to give you something in writing m8 so that if anything goes wrong after they fit the box then they sort it free of fu*kin charge.

It seems tha the places you are going to want you to pay for the labour after they have fitted the box and they tell you an oil line bust, which seems odd and they musta meant a tranmission line, which if they where a cheapo pace was prob donw to them making an ass of the job in the 1st place.

Hope this time it is sorted right m8.

Andy
PS

Tony sorry sir, picked you up worng, we need to get an airfield rent next year for the club there are a couple that do that sorta thing and we can race your banana, against my frog **** green soarer :).

·
Registered
768 Posts
just spoke to Stuart on the phone as he was pulling into the garage, i think the gear box is completely fecked now!!!

he was err..... how shall i put it, not very happy is an understatement!!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Stu

Sorry to hear about your latest problems mate, hope things get sorted out.

The only thing I'd add is that these cars are *normally* very reliable... It's the only car I've had for over a year with no major problems (and that includes a brand new Daewoo Matiz which my ex now has)
If you stick with it and sorth the g/b problems out you should have a car that will go on forever.

Will

·
Registered
362 Posts
Stu the only think that has gone wrong on mine is the dizzy, which as we all know, is as guarenteed as taxes as death.

It seems that you have been unlucky but if you do fancy switching to the joys of a manual then I have just the thing for you. My car!

J

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Asterix

How much do you want for your car? Not that I am interested but I think it would be good to let us know - I am sure that your fellow MX6ers will keep an ear on the ground for you, that is if Stu don't decide to take it.

Come on Stu get a manual - tell your old lady you will take it as a BD present which is coming up soon:) :) :) :) .

Stu I hope you get sorted mate - If I were closer I would have helped you m8 - take the box out if possible repair it - otherwise fit the new secondhand one. Unfortunetly SA is a little bit to far unless your paying to have your own personal mechanic fly in to [email protected] @- @- @- .

William

PS Stu so thats why you were not at work this afternoon when I tried to phone you and the lady told me you will be back later - You went to the Garage to sort out your car - will speak to you tomorrow m8

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
stewart, tis quite likely the loss of oil was what caused the problems, i know oil is important with all working parts, but with an auto tis almost like the oil is part of the box itself. even a slightly low level of oil will produce all sorts of problems, making the owner think they need a new gearbox. to run one dry will kill the band friction material. i feel the fitting garage are responsible, as, new pipes should always be fitted, or at least the ends cut off and new 'o' ring crimps used. in your case, if the original rubber pipes were used, they would be as old as your car, so most likely brittle. they should have been thrown away with the old box. also, no good gearbox fitter damages a main seal on fitting the box. or at least, checks his work, guarantees it, and replaces it at no charge. as i said in a previous post, the main seal should have been checked when the box was removed, and also replaced if necessary. all i can say is, if the rest of the car is good, including the engine, you have to work out if the cost of getting this done properly, is worth it, giving you a car that will run for a few years with no major trouble. if the answer is yes, then spend the money, if you arent sure, then move on; bearing in mind the money spent already. remember u wont get much for your car as a non runner? perhaps do a totting up as to what you would get if you can strip the car first i.e wheels (put on an old set and sell the ones u have), sell the leather interior if in good nick etc. etc.

good luck whatever u decide, but i hope u keep to the '6's as they are a good car when the wheels are turning. dont forget i put a new engine in the red car, cos i thought that was a cheaper option to buying another car to the same standard.

Mike

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanx lads!!

Ive taken it to a garage, there very helpful and understand what ive spent on it and they did my caliper and other bits, Yep mike i had a fair few chioce words to say to the garage that fitted it yesterday i think even i made them feel guilty but they did have the nerve to say we will fit it for £250 this time!!!!!!!! Man if i was by him he would have been blixemed(nocked out) :) seeing they charged me £393+vat last time round!!

Anyway got it to the garage last nite where the gearbox is goin to be taken out, then the gearbox supplyers will pick it up fri and deliver a new one monday ready to b fitted!
Mike to be honest after the oil hose splitting and running on no oil for a tiny bit i new it was no good to the gearbox, overthe weekend i could hear like a fan belt noise coming from the gearbox so could have been the bands wearing out!
Anyway all in all going to only cost another £250!
ill prob keep it coz ive just passed an mot, had two new tyres fitted plus calipur plus gearbox..................

Stu
ps nope never go manual on a 6 by stubboness :) :) :)

pps William i go home at 3pm mate you should have called at 10am england time!

ppps Asterix i would have your car mate but not worth me swapping a 6 for a 6 mum wouldnt fund it :( :( :(

pppps Willr ill b back on the road hopefuly for reading :) :)

ppppps ill keep the car :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts