Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. I've had people tell me that if I cut my AC belt I can get a gain in horsepower. But then other people tell me that I can't do this or it will throw my power steering off. Whats the deal? Is it safe to cut my AC belt?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
29 Posts
ac belt

Matt
If the ac belt also runs ur power steering blet then if u cut it u will not have power steering! u can do this but it will be hard to turn at slow speeds.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that I will lose my power steering, but will it definitely give me a hp gain? And if so, how drastic?

Matt

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Those people are partly right. If you remove all the accessories from the front of the engine (i.e. take all the belts off), you might gain 5-7HP from the reduction in parasitic drag.

When the A/C isn't running, it consumes little power to turn the pulley. But when the A/C is engaged, it can consume up to 10-12HP. This is one reason why the PCM will disengage the A/C when you floor the throttle; it gets you that power back to pass a truck or whatever. I always just turn the A/C "off" when I want to accelerate away from a light...

In the old days, some street drag racers would "turn off" the alternator by diconnecting the field feed with a toggle switch. This too would free up some power. Power steering, going in a straight line, doesn't consume very much power.

Or you could reduce the parasitic drag and leave everything functional by getting an Unorthodox underdrive pulley. This drives all the accessories slower, reducing their losses.

I wouldn't recommand removing the belt or disabling the ancillaries entirely though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
GET THE UNORTHODOX UNDERDRIVE PULLEY. IT'S LESS THAN $200 AND IT'LL GIVE YOU 8hp. SUPPOSEDLY,PROBABLY MORE LIKE 5hp. BUT YOU'LL STILL HAVE POWER STEERING, A/C, AND YOU'RE GETTING INVISIBLE POWER. YOUR CAR WONT LOOK OR SOUND ANY DIFFERENT. JUST FEEL DIFFERENT. GOOD LUCK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts