Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i was doing the clutch, and while i was under there i figured ide try to solve all my shifter slop.
We all know the rr racing 'stabilzer bushings' dont do much at all.

probly cause thats not where the slop is at!

All of my play came from these bushings. When it came apart, There was only one bushing in mine and it was severely worn.
We made these, they fit PERFECT. Just press them into your shifter part on the trans, line the shifter link up over it, and press the bolt thru.

in this picture you can see the bushings in the transmission, you can also see the bolt and old bushing that came out on the floor.

Before i had these i had about 2 inches of play even when in gear.
These bushings took away about 90% of that slop. It feels like a totally different car.

so im really trying to get to..

Would anyone be interested in buying these if i were to make more sets?
I am GUESSING they will be $25-30 Shipped.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Those nylon?

I'm in the same boat but I have yet to install my poly bushing and I would consisider an alternative to factory replacements.
Let me know what you expect price wise. As far as shipping, they should weight practicaly nothing but what would it cost to 68137?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
you can get the stock green bushings from the dealership for pretty cheap if i remember correctly. luckily when i replaced mine, the ones on my parts car were in good shape still. corksport sells them along with the brass oil bushings for their shifter. if you go there, you can take a look at how they look

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would be interested. Guessing these could also be used at the gearbox end.

I'll see if I can ramp up some support from Aus members. Let us know expected costs.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm up for a set! For sure!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Those nylon?
As far as shipping, they should weight practicaly nothing but what would it cost to 68137?
Yes they are nylon.
you can get the stock green bushings from the dealership for pretty cheap if i remember correctly. luckily when i replaced mine, the ones on my parts car were in good shape still. corksport sells them along with the brass oil bushings for their shifter. if you go there, you can take a look at how they look
last time i checked, nothing from the dealership was CHEAP. They are also not made to the tolerance of these.
Corksport says theirs create more vibration in the shifter (they ARE metal..)
They use a different bolt.
And they also are $45 after shipping :shrug:

I would be interested. Guessing these could also be used at the gearbox end.

I'll see if I can ramp up some support from Aus members. Let us know expected costs.
i am not sure as to if these work for the end of the actual shifter if thats what your asking. Athought that is a very good idea. Because that would get rid of ALL the slop.
i would probably be up for one
:tup:
I'm up for a set! For sure!
i already know! :).

i am GUESSING that they will be about $25-30 shipped. I gotta talk to my shop owner though to be sure. They also might be limited supply for now.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would be interested.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i didn't say buy them from corksport, they are a complete rip off. i'm saying look at their picture, NOT for the brass bushings which don't even fit half the time. GREEN

CorkSport Bronze Oil Bushings

most people don't even know of these bushings as they're thinking of the rr-racing bushings being on the tranny side, as did I until the engine swap and taking things apart to reduce my play in my shifter. The rr-racing bushings are for the shifter housing, which is completely unnecessary to replace. also, those brass bushings are supposed to be for the shifter side, not the tranny side

i remember that someone had gone to the dealership to find the "green bushings" for their shifter linkage and it was around 6 bucks or something. not everything at the dealer is always a rip off, especially if you have a discount :p

as an example of getting something from the dealer (GM) that isn't a rip off, I bought GM Synchromesh with Friction Mod gear oil and it was about 10 bucks a quart. Way cheaper than Redline or Royal purple, plus much easier to find. Fixed my gear grinding in 3rd and 4th and made it a lot easier to get into 1st. I was using royal purple before and shifting wasn't easy to do. now it's so much easier. best stuff i've bought from a dealer

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i remember that someone had gone to the dealership to find the "green bushings" for their shifter linkage and it was around 6 bucks or something. not everything at the dealer is always a rip off, especially if you have a discount :p
well. not all of us get discounts like that :)

but i would say that those dealer bushings are definitely not as tight of fit as these.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
how much you going to sell these for? i might get some just for the hell of it to try them out

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
This is something i was messing with this last july, Ended up making a couple UHMW bushings, and some aluminum ones. Didnt think it would catch interest so I left it as just something I was screwin with.
I was doing it for the actual Shifter, Are they the same on that end?

My plan was to recondition a STS assembly i had laying around... End result was i found some yellow rubber bushings from some plumbing parts.. They worked excellent, and were less then a buck.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how much you going to sell these for? i might get some just for the hell of it to try them out
stated above. I also edited the first post :tup:
I was doing it for the actual Shifter, Are they the same on that end
I have not looked into weather or not they are the same right at the shifter/connector or at the connector/trans. I am 90% sure they are different, but i guess that doesnt mean i cant make those ones.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have the corksport bushings, but only installed on the tranny. I have an ebay short shifter, so I have yet to check if they fit. I do know that the corksport bushings are the same for the tranny and shifter.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd probably be interested in a set. I still have to install my rr bushings on the trans. side so I might as well have something else to do. :shrug:
are you talking about the stabilizer bushings? or engine mount bushings?
the stabilzer bushings dont do much.

I have the corksport bushings, but only installed on the tranny. I have an ebay short shifter, so I have yet to check if they fit. I do know that the corksport bushings are the same for the tranny and shifter.
hm. well someone will have to find out.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will have 2 sets of these available tomorrow.

I will let them go for 25 shipped, to the first 2 people who pay me.

This price will NOT be for all of them, we are still trying to figure out how many people are interested. They will more than likely be about 28 shipped, unless there is a mass response. They could go as cheap as 20 shipped.

Let me know who wants them :tup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
So i was doing the clutch, and while i was under there i figured ide try to solve all my shifter slop.
We all know the rr racing 'stabilzer bushings' dont do much at all.

probly cause thats not where the slop is at!

All of my play came from these bushings. When it came apart, There was only one bushing in mine and it was severely worn.
We made these, they fit PERFECT. Just press them into your shifter part on the trans, line the shifter link up over it, and press the bolt thru.

in this picture you can see the bushings in the transmission, you can also see the bolt and old bushing that came out on the floor.

Before i had these i had about 2 inches of play even when in gear.
These bushings took away about 90% of that slop. It feels like a totally different car.

so im really trying to get to..

Would anyone be interested in buying these if i were to make more sets?
I am GUESSING they will be $25-30 Shipped.
I just wanted to say that first off, the shifter stabilizer bushings that RR racing sells do work. If you have a bad shifter stabilizer bushing with a good pair of shifter bushings, you will grind gears if you can even get into it. Those bushings rock with the engine/transmission when you go to accelerate. Those bushings are responsible for the shifter moving everytime you accelerate. It goes with the rocking of the engine.

The upper and lower bushings of just the shifter rod are very important too. They get some of the slack out. The rest of the slack comes from where the shift lever connects to the gear selector rod, those bushings there. I wouldn't go knocking RR racing's products just because you didn't find a fix to your problem initially.

BTW, those shifter bushings can be had at the mazda dealer for $7 for the pair. I've bought 2 pairs because they're the same for my protege as well.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The upper and lower bushings of just the shifter rod are very important too. They get some of the slack out. The rest of the slack comes from where the shift lever connects to the gear selector rod, those bushings there. I wouldn't go knocking RR racing's products just because you didn't find a fix to your problem initially.
i am not knocking their product.

i am simply stating that those bushings CANNOT take away the play. Those bushings just hold the shifter assembly to stay the same length from the tranny.

THESE bushings are what caused the slop in my car. period.

and from who ive talked to, they cause it in most other cars also.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.