Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I don't own an MX-6 yet, but would like to (I currently own a Nissan 200SX SE-R). I test drove a 1997 MX-6 LS (V6 engine) the other day and found that it was barely faster than my Nissan, which is only a 4 cylinder with 140hp. I think the clutch was old on this particular car, and perhaps it wasn't very well maintained. Maybe another MX-6 would've gone faster. Nonetheless, I don't expect too much of an improvement just by trying a different dealer, and I want more power. I'm new to any car modifications, so I ask you: what is the easiest way to get a 200hp performance out of this car, without seriously affecting the fuel economy?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
449 Posts
KL_ZE

Read some of the KL_ZE threads. KL_ZE is a engine code for the same V6 in the LS, but has higher compression and is more finely tuned. The engine is rated at 200HP. You can probably get 250Hp out of the engine with some mods, like new exhaust, freer flowing air intake, just as a start (You'll need more for 250 however).

Fuel economy should be slightly worse than the stock V6. Since we don't have the hi-octane gas japan has, you'll sacriface some more fuel to rid of knocking.

It costs about $1400 for the engine. Just swap out the old and put in the new then you're all done.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard that you can't put the KLZE engine into '96 and '97 models of the MX-6. Is this true?

If so, what else can I do to get 200hp?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Swap with ANY KL-03

Yes, a KLZE can quite easily be swaped into any '93-'97 MX-6 or Probe GT with a 2.5L KL-03 engine. You'll find much more info on the KLZE if you do a search at Probetalk.com.
Start at:
http://www.probetalk.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002222.html
Also, http://www.members.home.com/sofronov/Web/A_Spec/services.html is a page from a shop in Ontario that does KLZE conversions, and they list several other cars that they can drop this engine into.

Good luck getting an MX-6. If you find a V6 in good shape, it should feel much faster than your 4 cyclinder Nissan.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
...not suprising...

Jacobi said:
Hi guys,

I don't own an MX-6 yet, but would like to (I currently own a Nissan 200SX SE-R). I test drove a 1997 MX-6 LS (V6 engine) the other day and found that it was barely faster than my Nissan, which is only a 4 cylinder with 140hp. I think the clutch was old on this particular car, and perhaps it wasn't very well maintained. Maybe another MX-6 would've gone faster. Nonetheless, I don't expect too much of an improvement just by trying a different dealer, and I want more power. I'm new to any car modifications, so I ask you: what is the easiest way to get a 200hp performance out of this car, without seriously affecting the fuel economy?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
It's not really suprising that the SE-R is almost as quick as the V6 MX6. One SE-R website I went to lists the SE-R as weighing 2594#s at the curb, which is at least a couple of hundred pounds lighter than a V6 MX6. With 140HP, you get 18.5 #/HP in the SE-R and about 17.6 #/HP in the 2900# MX6. That's not a huge gap.

200HP from a KL03? As others have pointed out, probably the easiest route to that is to sell the KL03 and put it towards the purchase of a KLZE. Check your local laws concerning emissions though; the ZE doesn't have EGR fittings (though it can be modified to accept EGR). Also, your PCM will need some minor calibration changes to work with the KLZE's different VRIS and timing needs. It'll run fine without the changes but you won't be getting the most out of the 'ZE.

If an engine swap isn't in the cards, Thomas Knight Turbos (TKT) makes turbo kits for the V6 that'll give more than 200HP at the wheels for maybe $2700 or so. If you buy, say, a $9000 MX6, that's still a heckuva deal.

If a turbo isn't in your budget, consider a small (less than 50 for reliability) shot of nitrous: power on demand and stock fuel-economy when not spraying.

"Regular" bolt-ons will get you to maybe 150 or so at the wheels, about 175-180HP at the crank. They will cost you nearly as much as a stock KLZE though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
a step down!!

for starters man if your engine is an sr20det engine then u already have 201hp at the flywheel.your car is rated at 147kw and i would shoot myself if i took a step down into an mx6 of any sort.no discredit to my fellow owners i myself have a 91 gt and before buying the 1st gen i drove 7 93 onwards mx6 and didnt like them. they had very brief torque range and really lack the push in the back feel the turbo gives you. no keep your 200sx. my friends company built one a year ago and it churned out 455hp at the rear wheels. if u want i can scan and show u the artilce. keep the 200!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tomsmx6t91,
You're in Australia right?
In the U.S. Nissan has never treated us to the Sr20det...only the sr20de which is rate at 140-145 hp at the flywheel. It's not even remotely comparable to the SR20DET

·
Registered
332 Posts
455 HP at the rear wheels on a 200SX??? The Nissan 200SX is a two door version of the Sentra. Last I checked that was a front wheel drive car. The last time a SX in the states had rear drive was the 240SX. Which is also known as the Sylvia in other coutries. But those other countries had different engines. The sporty ones had the turbos and the did put out lost of HP and had many mods avaiable. The 200SX is a completely different car than that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
sr20det...

my condolences man , ithought u guys had the turbo version of the 200sx. and i am suprised that u got them in front drive. well in that case by all means modify your heart out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmm, I'll tell you what I am doing which should be near 200HP

Stage 4 Intake Manifold
Stage 1 Heads + Upped Compression Ratio (this is quite expensive)
Modified Throttle Body
Headers
Intake
Exhaust

With the H/I/E, our cars have like 150 to the wheels. I was told that other stuff should get me up another 45-60 to the wheels and that the compression ratio thing alone, adds 10-15 to the wheels.

All of this shit can be done for under $1500. It would be faster than a KLZE too since they are like 180 to the wheels.

Do this, add a clutch and fuel pump and a 100 shot of nos, close to 300 whp baby =P

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Swap with ANY KL-03

Mike 93LS said:
Also, http://www.members.home.com/sofronov/Web/A_Spec/services.html is a page from a shop in Ontario that does KLZE conversions, and they list several other cars that they can drop this engine into.
I looked at this site and it got me thinking. (Uh Oh.)

Let's say Dick does the KLZE swap in his MX6. Go Dick go! Go go go.
Now Dick has a KL02 sitting in his garage that has nothing wrong with it. Sally has a Mazda Protege with serious engine problems. Dick buys Sally's broken car for dirt cheap. Dick puts a mildly modded KL02 in a little Protege. Now Dick has a little four door he can drive when he doesn't want to drive his pretty MX6 in foul weather and bad traffic or when he takes more than one adult size person with him. And, this Protege is a helluva fun car to drive. Especially when Dick and Spot race that Civic boy sending him home with that look on his face.

Now I know I can sneak the KLZE into the garage but my wife is gonna freak if I bring home a Protege that doesn't even run. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
klze

can you buy a KLZE from a mazda dealer in the us or can't they get them anymore?

·
Registered
118 Posts
No, the KLZE is for use in Japan. They get all the cool stuff we wish we could have. :mad: The KLZE isn't legal for use on US roads. They are legal in the US for racing only. People buy them from the places in the US that sell used engines out of cars driven in Japan. (Does this make sense.) If a Mazda dealer sold them they would probably cost more than the whole car did. :(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yo that link with the KL-ZE......

Heh my bro made that site, for A-Spec(he is very good friends with A-Spec) and if you look into his own site he has a 91 Protege GT with a KL-ZE, here is a link: http://www.members.home.com/sofronov/Frames.html

if that link brings you to his main site go to Kaos, then at the botton it'll say MX-3, go there then scroll down and you'll see his car, I took the pics :)

later,
2.5MX-6

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is in reply to Roach's message:

Stage 4 Intake Manifold, Stage 1 Heads + Upped Compression Ratio (this is quite expensive), Modified Throttle Body
Headers, Intake, Exhaust = 45-60 extra hp for under $1500?

Has anyone actually done this? How feasible is it? I was always a little uncomfortable with the KLZE (perhaps for no rational reason), so this may be the answer to my prayers!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent!

Thanks, and keep me posted. Any expectations on how much weight this will add to your car, and how the torque will be affected?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Weight? I would say minimal. In the case of the heads and manifold and stuff. Its identical in weight. Well, maybe slightly less because part of it is gone. But the weight of the powder coating on it probably makes up for that. =P

As for the headers and exhaust, same thing. Its simply replacing the old stuff.

As far as torque, I would imagine it too would be near 200. Possibly more as the spacers I know give much more torque than HP. Just my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts