Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

66k Mile M-Edition a good buy at $11k? - I know Blue Book Value... MX6.com Opinion?

• Sounds Alright

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Probably Not

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to buy a 1996 5-speed M-Edition MX-6. Purple Ext/Tan Leather interior. Everything looks stock mazda (rims, radio, V6, ect...). It looks just like the Edmunds photo http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/121903.jpg

It's at 66,000 miles. They are asking $11,500(USD) which is about inline with the Blue Book Value.

Magnificent looking and driving car thus far.

I would like to know what I should look for before I buy this car. Typical problem spots type of thing.

Could anyone explain the following to me (i grabbed it off JPMX6GT's FAQ)... I don't know exactly what I'm looking for:

Q. I have a ticking noise coming from my front suspension when I make a turn, I also notice some black grease on the inside of my wheel well. What could this be?

A. What you are describing is a torn CV boot. You will notice that when you’re driving, you’ll hear a constant ticking sound coming from one of the front axles. If you inspect the CV boot and notice that it has black grease coming out of it or is splattered all over the inside of your wheel well, then your CD boot is cracked or ruptured. You could do one of 3 things:

1. Purchase a split boot. What you get with this is simply a replacement boot that is open and gets wrapped around the CV Joint and then glued shut. This works temporarily but often cracks again within a few months.

2. Purchase a closed CV boot and install it in your existing axle. While this is better then purchasing a split boot, this requires a lot of work to install. You need to remove the axle and disassemble the unit in order for you to fit the closed boot in place

3. You can purchase a new or refurbished axle and replace the entire thing. This is by far the better solution if you want the problem resolved fast and accurately. It basically requires you to remove the old axle and swap in the new one.

Though the work required to fix this problem is rather easy with the help of a shop manual or a Haynes manual, if unsure, have a mechanic do the work for you.
and

Q. I have oil in my spark plug wells, what do I do?

A. If you pull out your spark plug wires, specifically the center one of the 2 bays (Cylinder 4 and 5) or pull the spark plugs out of your engine and notice that they are covered in engine oil, then you need to have your valve cover gaskets changed. This usually starts to happen between 50-70K miles on all MX6/626/PGT’s. You can temporarily fix the problem by tightening the valve cover bolts down a little more being careful not to over torque them because they are prone to crack and break off, however, this is only a temporary fix. The best thing you should do is to replace the front and rear valve cover gaskets. Also, since you have to remove the intake manifold in order to get to the rear valve cover, it’s best to replace the intake manifold gaskets while you have the manifold off.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The best test interment is your ears drive it and listen ...For clunks ticks etc. But Id say {site unseen }a car with those miles and that year should be OK
The things with the valve covers is to pullout a lead and see if there is any oil on it. If not then you are Ok for now. But rest assured one day on all mexes they will need replacing...This is really the only thing and it is not a major problem if it does need changing anyway.
Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
cv-boots

you can visually inspect the cv boots but ya got to get under the car to do so. if you see grease leaking out or can see a tear or rip in the boot, you'll need to replace them. i paid about $400.00 at the dealer to have both my outer boots replaced last month.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
At that mileage you should ask if the 60K service was done, and if not, why not? Price the service (including all belts) and use that as a bargaining device if the car wasn't serviced. At the dealer it's quite expensive.

Tyson

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info... will check with the dealer tommarrow to see if it had 60k service... and to check the plugs and cv boot

·
Registered
66 Posts
a few more things

That sounds about right but I think Stumper is giving you a better deal even considering the mileage difference between the two. Because, I'm betting the 60K service wasn't done on the one you are looking at and, the dealer quoted me over $850 for that.
I picked my 96 M-ed up this past april with 67000 miles for 9,500 in Atlanta.
If stumper is tooo far away, spend some considerable time looking at www.traderonline.com At least that way, you have a feel for the pricing in "YOUR" area for that exact vehicle... never mind what blue books say.

In addition to the things you asked about, play with the cd changer and antenna,,, both of mine fouled up....
also, the outer tie rod ends needed replacement on mine. I spent $58 apiece at the dealer and installed them myself, then got the alignment done.
Over all, the m-edition is a very nice feather in mazda's hat.
Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stumper,

I need to buy from a dealer right now .. i lost my job some months back and am using my savings to go back to school while the industry / economy turns around a bit.

I can get a nice long loan with family co-signers at the dealer. The banks here will only give my short term loans on a '96 right now.

Also need to unload my 2001 GLS Passat V6 4-Motion ... and the dealer seems like he'll do alright with it.

I looked at yours stumper ... seems like the exact same car with a few more miles... I'd do it if I could get a nice long loan ... but :( without a job the banks won't do much for me.

Hey if anyone needs a Systems Admin (NT/Novell) send me a line I'll get you a resume'. I'm near Chicago right now but more than willing to relocate / travel.

Thanks again guys ... I love boards like this. (unlike the BMW one I was on for a while ... I never saw so many flaming RTFM posts.) Anyway, I hope I can manage to become a long term member of this board and help some others.

[email protected] - Car stuff, Game Admin Stuff
[email protected] - Resume, Buisiness Address

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
If the 60k service hasn’t been dun then you should be concerned. Because, it shows a lack of care by the previous owner...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts