i know how you all feel, i was getting around 15 - 17/g. couldn't drive across town without spending a few bucks at least...
but - now i get about 30...
try these, helped me out big time :
- use some injector cleaner in one full tank, that always helps...
- in the next (make sure this is a fill-up), throw in carb and valve cleaner (7-11 sells it for 1.99, cheap stuff - and not having a carb doesn't matter, its basically octane and detergent anyway)
- use premium as much as possible - may cost a bit more, but trust me you're saving her from certain death.
- next time you do an oil change, throw in castrol high mileage if you're over about 120,000 km. It'll help fill in any scratches in the cylinders, which should help with fuel consumption AND compression, an added bonus.
- also double check the connection from the distributor to the air flow meter... krazy glue is a good temp fix for that one, rather than replacing the whole case... (speaking from experience. but do read the warning labels... they mean it
- gas smell was most likely coming from the gas cap, but if shes misifiring at all sometimes you can smell gas fumes in the exhaust... best way to check for that is to start it up on a hot day, let her warm up, and watch the exhaust - if it looks steamy like your early morning cold start, chances are you're not burning all your fuel, which would be the plugs misfiring or injectors... listen for the give-away-tick. if your car sounds like my watch, and you're using a lot of gas, its the injectors.
- check and make sure you dont have oil on the rear of the pan... that isnt the pan leaking, i believe its the return line above it - but it can drip pretty good at high pressure - more friction, more power needed for same work, more fuel needed for power.
- and if you're still getting bad mileage, check the newbie stuff first - tire inflation, oil, spark plugs, etc.
- if that doesn't help, then your 6 is more tempermental than mine - which is definately not the best thing... LOL
best of luck, and buy me something nice with the $ you save if it works