Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up, my car has finally made it into the shop at ACES PAInt and Body Works, in baltimore, the same guys that did dustin's MX6 from the cover of the superstreet mag, earlier this year. so my question is: i am getting the body kit installed, sides and rear molded in, complete paint job to a new color includes under hood, door jams, etc. and a few other minor things such as mesh screen, the body shop guy gave me an estimate of around 3500.00 total, possibly a little more depending on how well the kit fit. does this sound a little steep or not, i am sure he will do a quality job and he told me that he has painted many cars that have made it into magazines so he obviously knows what he's doing.well i'll keep everyone posted and hopefully get some pics up in a few weeks.

--mcbride

·
Registered
446 Posts
Exactly which kit are you having installed? Is it the Erebuni Shogun, the Spoilers Etc Ninja kit, or the TC Spoilers kit? Fitment will play a major role in the $$$bottom line$$$. Spoilers Etc and TC Spoilers should fit well and cut bodywork to a relative minimum. Time is money - make sure he breaks it all down for you and get him to commit to a final price in writing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 6 is also in the shop. I'm getting the TC kit and an Erebuni wing installed, fixing some dings and dents, and a full body paint (under hood, jams, etc.) for $1400.

Keep in mind that the is my neighborhood shop, and the paint they are using is "the less expensive kind" (lower quality). But I don't have $$$ so its find with me (and besides, it'll be garaged most of the time).

Supposedly, using the better paint (and hence more coats) would cost me $900-1000 more.

`jjj

·
Registered
446 Posts
My 6 is also in the shop. I'm getting the TC kit and an Erebuni wing installed, fixing some dings and dents, and a full body paint (under hood, jams, etc.) for $1400.

Keep in mind that the is my neighborhood shop, and the paint they are using is "the less expensive kind" (lower quality). But I don't have $$$ so its find with me (and besides, it'll be garaged most of the time).

Supposedly, using the better paint (and hence more coats) would cost me $900-1000 more.

`jjj
Are they "molding" the sides and rear or just installing the kit for that price? If they're molding it, you're getting a hell of a deal; wait 'til you can afford quality paint to go with it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The sides and rears are molded, but not the front.

Actually, it was kinda weird. The original estimate was for $1200 w/o molding. One day, I went into the shop to check up on the car, and I met the guy how was doing the actual installation. He told me how he works on comission and that spending time on a car does not pay off for him. I told him to pay extra attention to my car and that'll he'll be compensated afterwards with a nice tip.

The next day, I go in and the guy in charge says he has to charge me $200 more because the rears were a hassle. I looked at the car, and the stuff was molded on. I don't know what happpen, but I'm not complaining.

Should I wait for quality paint? I have to go in tomorrow an approve of the color sample so they can start.

`jjj

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i would have asked him what cars and who owns the cars that are in the mag?? so you can talk them about it. because 3500 is alot of cash to put in something.

he has still not told us the brand of kit he has, that will help us decide if that is a good price or not.

give me 3500, and watch me go FI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm paying $3800 Canadian to get my car repainted... with

Erebuni Style 44 Front Bumper thrown on
8" High Supra Style Mid-Spoiler
Shaved Emblems
Shaved Trunkhole
Shaved Antenna
MULTIPLE (I mean MANY) dents and dings in rocker panels, front fenders, and all along the side

$3800 canadian prolly works out to.. what $2500 US?

Its definately worth paying more for a QUALITY paint job that won't orange peel on you ... or fade due to sun , weathering, etc..

I'm getting a 2-stage paint on my car which is 6 coats...

Post up a pic here as soon as I get it back!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its the shogun style kit from spoilers etc., with the shogun style wing from erebuni, i am changing from a pearly green to silver. i think the break down was something like 1200-1500 for the install and molding of the kit (sides and rear) and around 2000 for the complete paint (including all door jams, under hood, trunk, etc.) so it appears that most of you feel this is too high, so what should i do? should i tell the guy that i got a few other estimates and they were much cheaper or just wait and see, i am willing to pay the extra for a high quality job, and he ensured me it would be "show" quality after leaving his shop. he told me that he painted a neon, that took first place for its paintjob at a nopi show sometime this spring. well keep giving me some input into the situation and we'll see how it turns out.

--keep ya posted....mcbride

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mcbride420

4:20 eh?

Anyhow, straightup if you pay cheap, you're gonna get a cheap paint job.

If you pay well, you will get a quality paint job that will last you years and years, without yor paint fading, peeling, cracking, etc.

If its in your budget, take the expensive paintt

You don't want no Maaco job on your car, or no run of the mill paint

I'm paying 3800 canadian for my paint job, WITHOUT getting a full kit installed only a front bumper

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i would have to say wait on the expensive paint too. if you can get the funds pretty quick and dont mind having a primered (color primered?) car. this will also allow you to see if youre driving style cracks your mouldings. putting paint on and then finding out you have cracks can be dissapointing.

·
Registered
763 Posts
thats a pretty good idea actually, never thought of doing that....

oh well, I dont have a full kit anyways so I dont have to worry about cracking or shit too much anyhow...

·
Registered
240 Posts
God, for some reason I feel like I'm getting ripped off. The estimate I got from the shop I dropped of my car at for getting a TC Spoilers body kit put on and a full repaint was around $4500. But then again, apparently my car had a lot of dings and dents in it that I didn't really notice before and all of them are being removed before the car gets repainted. Am I still paying too much? XO

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
sick6 said:
thats a pretty good idea actually, never thought of doing that....

oh well, I dont have a full kit anyways so I dont have to worry about cracking or shit too much anyhow...
actually, the front clip is the one that cracks the most. it has the highest leverage and can be cracked by a rough launch, not to mention its the first to see speed bumps, rocks, other cute sh!t that people leave on the road...

·
Registered
763 Posts
You're actually right, usualy the front bumper is dropped even lower than the skirts or back bumper as welll

But I guess that's the price you have to pay (driving real carefully) when you want to throw a dirty kit on your car

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
throw a dirty kit on your car???

just wandering what this is suppose to mean, does it even have any signifigance.

·
Registered
763 Posts
DarkReaper said:
God, for some reason I feel like I'm getting ripped off. The estimate I got from the shop I dropped of my car at for getting a TC Spoilers body kit put on and a full repaint was around $4500. But then again, apparently my car had a lot of dings and dents in it that I didn't really notice before and all of them are being removed before the car gets repainted. Am I still paying too much? XO
Guy dont worry we all feel that way I'm paying $3800 canadian for my paint job, and I'm not even getting a full kit put on!

$3800 is what like $2400 US or something?? Pretty damn expensive and I'm just putting on a front bumper!

I also got a lot of dings and dents though too...

No, you're not paying to much I dont think

·
Registered
763 Posts
Re: throw a dirty kit on your car???

mcbride420 said:
just wandering what this is suppose to mean, does it even have any signifigance.
I dunno.. some Canadian terminology?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts