Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
well he did say he used a bong.

i can see it shattering after one bump (if it didnt crack when tightening the hose clamps), then glass shards getting into the engine wont do it any good.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think he was using weed when he made the post :p

I've seen 'clear' coolant hose piping (don't know if it was glass), but not clear intake piping....

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No...it was a project/experiment type thing that actually worked and worked well! I found an old bong at a buddies house (attic) and at the time he didn't smoke and I had quit....plus it was broken at the base. We cut off the base flush and out it in place with a radiator hose connection. The vibration was pretty much cured with clear silicone underneath and thin wire to wrap once the silicone was dry. It didn't actually look that bad at all and suprisingly lasted for a long time- pyrex is pretty thick and in order to melt it you need at least 1800 degrees.

What reminded me of this is an issue of Heavy Hitters (the high end car magazine pwned by Primedia) I was reading at the grocery store. There's a company that makes velocity stacks out of glass too. Supercharged (Pro Charger) Ford Flex with an intake velocity stack and a compressor discharge to intercooler inlet is what caught my eye.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Cool I like how it looks, And you can see if your coolant is clean or if it got junk in it, I think plastic would be better though. Plexiglas maybe?
glass is more durable. Pyrex is the way to do :)

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Productize this properly and the next ricer fad is born :p

No, actually I think that looks rather good. I can agree on the laboratory glassware being rather substantial in strength too :)

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
no it won't. do you know how much heat runs through your intake system, as well as in your engine bay?

Clear Extruded Acrylic Tubes (aka Plexiglass tubes) are sold in standard 6 ft lengths. Minimum order quantities may apply on certian sizes. Extruded Acrylic material does not machine and polish as well as cast because of its lower-heat distortion point. It is ideal for reinforcing and decorative work.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
2" pyrex piping is used in dairy farmers piplines. We use to have that stuff around the barn when i was young.
When you drop the milker in the sh#@t you can see the sh$#t get sucked up , go down the pipeline then into the cooler. Yummy.

·
Registered
778 Posts
looks great on a car that had it just fitted and topped up with coolant, give it 2 days before he regrets it as either way those pipes are going to get dirty, especially the intake one. personally i wouldnt want to have to take them off all the time to clean them. but at least its different.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My luck I'd hit it with a wrench or something.....:shrug:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Pyrex (or any other tempered glass tubing product) makes good sense.

Tempered glass is quite strong, and the thermal properties (low thermal conduction) are certainly desirable in an application such as this.

Provided there is no sheer forces involved, the glass will be plenty strong for such an application.

Argueably, it would be even better if you had a double walled pyrex tubing, as it would really insulate the charge pipe from the engine temperature. or you could even run water cooling through the charge pipe to cool it furtuer. All depending on application of course.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts