Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it would be possible to buy or make a glass moonroof? I think it would look so much better if it was glass.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I totally agree with you, i would love to have a glass moon roof insted of what we currently have. Are there any options for this? Has anyone ever tried it? Any info on this would be great.

Happy thanksgiving to all fast drivers out there, and even the slow ones too.....

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I've seen a few probes with glass sunroofs, and one mx6, but when I asked, he said he bought it that way. I would love to have a glass roof.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i went to couple of body shop and asked how much they would charge to do it and they said that i would have to find a glass store to make one based on the metal version to be an exact fit. im gonna find out how much they caust to make and if its a good price then ill let everyone know.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
this topic came up a LONG time ago, and there was some discussion as to whether you needed to keep in mind the expanding and contracting of the glass b/c of temperature and leakage. some1 needs to verify that.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I didn't know so many people were interested in this. But noone really knows? Hmmm, might have to do some asking around at local glass places. How much do you think it would cost to replace metal to glass? (not counting the cost to get the glass made) I didn't know that glass expanded and contracted in diff. temps, you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
lexan would be nice and probally safest. I'd hate to get into an acciden and have glass rain down in my face. I too would also be interested in what is involved in this swap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is this the kind of glass sunroof you guys are talking about? click here Don't ask me how it was done. I bought the car like this. However, the old owner did leave papers in the glove compartment . It was done in a sunroof shop. I don't think it was cheap either because there were lots of cards and phone # of different places. If anyone want's something like that, then it can be done.

p.s.
the keys up there are just to prove that the sunroof is real, not done by photoshop.

·
Registered
357 Posts
YES!! that's exactly the glass roof i have been wanting.

i saw the glass roof on the mx-6 and some dealerships did offer the glass option as a dealer only option.

there was a discussion before and i was one of the people in on it... someone brought up the card that goes under the glass to keep the sun out of your eyes, but i saw one in a mitsubishi eclipse that is two cards that slide over the other and then both back into the ceiling.

this would be an awesome mod in the MX-6... as i love the sun but hate the cold air...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I recently met a fellow mx6.com-er that has a 6 with no factory moonroof. I don't think this is very common, as it's the only one I've ever seen, but maybe your car started out life as one of those. Then it was taken to a shop and had one put in?
Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My friend has a MX-6 without a moonroof also. Only one i knew of until i went to Hughes lot.
But the picture of Synastic's 6 does look like it didnt have a moonroof before. I am ging to check out the measurements today on the stock moonroof and talk with my dad about making a clear one with lexan and tint (tint to make it dark so the sun doesnt blind you like when you have the stock one open and to protect against scratching, because lexan needs a laminent since it scratches so easy, yet it doesnt break easy at all.
I'll post tonight on my findings.

·
Registered
271 Posts
definetly post of your findings... i am EXTREMELY interested about having a see through sunroof. i will buy one of off you when i get some money if it works.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm totally in for that too. Would be sweet as hell to have a see through sun-roof })

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Alright I have just the Sunroof sheet and know there need to be a few things done. I am going to have to make them out of lexan and double laminate it. I cant make it out of tempered glass because it would need 1250 degrees to bend the sucker to form fit the right curve of the original. Then there is 4 studs i have to make through the top and then one 13% transparent reflective tint on the outside and 75% non-reflective on the inside. I already decided im going to use only Solar Gard tint with the lifetime scratching, fading, peeling, bubblin... etc warranty. So wish me luck and hopefully i can get this done.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keep us posted on $$, im sure you will get alot of people wanting to buy, I know I will.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe Pitviper33 is right. Maybe, my car didn't have a sunroof to begin with. After really looking at my sunroof, I notice that the base of the sunroof has a serial number or it can be a patent number and the company name which is Hollandia. Then again the stock one could have been replaced. Here are more pictures of my sunroof click here Anyways good luck with people that want the clear sunroof. All I can say is I love it and I feel badass cause it's rare.

P.S.
I found the phone # to Hollandia Sunroof 810-960-0666 it was in my glove compartment.
Hope that helps someone, maybe someone can call to find out info.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, I was involved in the original glass moonroof thread too. It wouldn't work to make a glass one because the glass would expand/contract at a different rate than the metal, and you would not have a good seal around the moonroof, so sometimes it would leak, and sometimes it would stick. Lexan would work better, but it is more expensive too, and it would be hard to find someone to do this for you, and even harder to find someone that would warranty it. As far as i know, no one that was involved in the last thread had the moonroof done.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
About the Lexan being very expensive? It is usually pretty spendy stuff but my dad can get it for VERY cheap at where he works. He got me a buncha sheets for free even when i was going to use it for my custom tail lights but gave up when Tom started making some :p

Anyways I can get the lexan for cheap and am going to try this so we'll see. And about the glass expanding and contracting? it shouldnt expand and contract enough to cause a leak or stick. that would have to be some high heat. Especially since it takes 1250 degrees F to form glass.

Anyways Im going to be getting supplies sometime this week and will try. I have some test sheets already just to play around with to form it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
im gonna check this glass store out when i get back home from vacation. i dont think that the glass would flex as much as everyone is talking about. extreme-6 let me know how it goes with the lexan and ill find out monday whats going on with the glass. we can decide what is cheaper from there. i think that the lexan would be a better idea cause of the possibility of crashing and having the glass raining down on the passengers in the car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts