Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO I'm driving from home, headed to get a hair cut down a road near the airport. The road is a 55 zone, but not a freeway strip. Comin up quick on a Jimmy/ Blazer type deal. I pull past it at my pace and then I notice he's not in my rear view. I check my blind spot and he's still there. I drop to fourth to accelerate just a little. He accelerates and maintains my speed.

We're then approaching a light. Guudie.. I get to show this old guy (white hair; heavyset) what the 6 is all about. Show him, his girlfriend, and all three of his fat friends crammed in the backseat. I rev my engine in the cross traffics yellow (not thinking this old guy was gonna respond). Then I heard the twin turbos spooling up and the BOVs popping... :( . So what... I'm game.. I'll beat the crap outta this guy. He's got a full cab and I have a newly rebuilt block.

Light turns green and I get the jump on him... for about a (and I mean ONE 1) second. He grabs traction (yes, he spun all four...SIDEWAYS) and leaves me like my car had stalled... But it didn't. I got dusted... Oh well... Couple more horsies, a supercharger, a REMOTE BOTTLE OPENER (dammit), and four wheel drive, I'll get him again.

But he still didn't leave me as bad as the M5 of last year. Gawd that was embarrassing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
damn that sucks thats gotta be embarissing i hate gettin blown away and i then i pull up to the person at the next light

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Darion said:
But he still didn't leave me as bad as the M5 of last year. Gawd that was embarrassing.
LOL, didnt realize those were that fast, i knew they were quick but damn, and you raced am m5??? Wow, if i were the guy driving i dont even think i would waste my gas on you...musta been cool to see a car that fast run.

-Bryce

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Re: Re: GMC Typhoon....

Si[xXx]er said:
LOL, didnt realize those were that fast, i knew they were quick but damn, and you raced am m5??? Wow, if i were the guy driving i dont even think i would waste my gas on you...musta been cool to see a car that fast run.

-Bryce
I raced a Dinan M# that I mistook for a 325 I last year. I felt pretty stupid when I hit the next light and looked closer at the badging. Now I know what all those guys in Civics feel like.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Arent those trucks single turbo??

There damn fast though, and there rare as hell

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure it only has one turbo, but still Very fast

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Ive never seen one in person, i awlays see the s10's and Blazer's with the badges though at the track....lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think they are single turbo.. I dunno. The guy might have done something to it... I do remember hearing the whistling turbo sound, but as he neared redline (which took no time at all), it sounded like two turbos (two whistles). And then the BOV popped twice each time he redlined it. Both times within a second of eachother. Thats why I think it was twin.

G

·
they are 4.3L V6 single turbo (Mitsubishi TD06-17C-8cm^2)
The turbine wheel on the turbocharger gets the exhaust from all six cylinders via a crossover pipe. The crossover pipe runs parallel to the radiator under the front of the motor. All the exhaust exits through a downpipe on the passenger side of the truck after the turbine

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
4.3L V6 Turbo
280hp 360ftlbs stock
MAN I WANT ONE!!!

Maybe the sound that your hearing is a wastegate. Also I dont think that you would have a BOV when hes going through gears since its automatic. He would have to take off then take his fot off the gas while boosting.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps a wastegate... But all this happened (popping BOVs and stuff) as he was revving; before the light ever turned green. I swear I think he was more than stock. I saw a Cylclone back in Milwaukee twice. That guys was stock and it sounded like a tame beast and screamed beautifully at high rpms. The guy I raced, did not sound stock. Sounded like some 2F2F/ LaMans supercar type shyt. Then he had three really large guys in the back. I mean big. He was big. His chick (looked good) was heavyset. All this and I didn't stand a chance. Wonder what woulda happened if all those people weren't in it.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Most people that i know of that have cyclones and typhoons do not keep them stock. If you have enough money to buy one of those, your obviously out for speed so you usually spend a little bit more and make it faster.

~aaron

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
I call BS, anyone who owns a Typhoon (A REAL TYPHOON) knows how fast they are and wouldnt be bothered with an MX6. Not to mention "I heard twin blow off valves" or whatever you said, The GMC Typhoon is a V6 Auto, and if you heard it "WHILE HE WAS REVVING" then I call BS on that too, the only reason to rev an auto is to get a good launch because it is an auto, GMC Typhoons are AWD, THERE IS NO REASON FOR A NEUTRAL DROP. They take off as soon as the gas is pressed. Some of the story might be true, but definately not all of it

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
A lot of people will rev just to let you know they're interested in racing. It's not necissarily to get a good launch.

good...uh, being killed :tup:
That reminds me of the viper that handed my ass to me.:D

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
My buddy has an auto Laser with a 18g turbo, he revs it all the time just to hear the blowoff. I think if i was wanting to race there is no better way to show it than to blowoff.

I call BS, anyone who owns a Typhoon (A REAL TYPHOON) knows how fast they are and wouldnt be bothered with an MX6.
Maybe that person also has driven an mx6 and knew they were fast and wanted to see how they faired next to it ;) especially with like 4 people in the car. You also have to consider the eg-on factor of having alot of people in a car.

~aaron

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
A guy a know revs before he takes off, so acually some do that... for some reason. Anyone have some good pictures of one to post? These are extremely sexy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts