Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the **** won't my ****ing intake manifold come of!?!? I've pulled off just about every hose or vacume line under the hood and the damn thing WILL not come off! Will someone please help me??

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
you have a 4 cyl?

if so, did you get the intake manifold brace?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, its a 6 cyl. I think there is only one other think holding it on, I just can find out what the hell it is.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Joe_silver93 said:
No, its a 6 cyl. I think there is only one other think holding it on, I just can find out what the hell it is.
Did you get the single bolt way down by the firewall-side valve cover? It's quite hard to get at...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
take a mirror and look around on the firewall side of the engine... chances are its over there.

good luck...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup...had the same story. Had to replace thecam cover gaskets. Its a thin,long bracket, held on place on the manifold and verticaly beneath on the engin. Loosen the top one completely and the bottom one just a bit. You will find that whan you put the manifold back, you will need a bit of bracket play to allign the top bolt again with the hole in the manifold.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Joe_silver93 said:
Why the **** won't my ****ing intake manifold come of!?!? I've pulled off just about every hose or vacume line under the hood and the damn thing WILL not come off! Will someone please help me??
Did you get it off yet? If not then the thing you are missing is the bottom bolt on the vris valve bracket. The VRIS valves are held on to the manifold via a braket. This braket has 2 bolts. one on the top and one on teh bottom. The top one is visible from the top of the engine. The second one is not visible. You pretty much have to feel your way around all of those hosed and wire harneses. Just stick your fingers down there and you will feel the bold. Remove it with the same size socked you used for the top one and you're done. The good thing is you don;t have to put it back when you're done. When i finally removed it, I chucked it halfway down my block for being a little biyach that held me back like 30 minutes...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got the mother ****er off. That damn thing held me back for a long time. I didn't have a whole lot of time this last week, so I didn't get to work on it that much, but Thanks to you guys, I finally got it off. I was right, it was just that one little bolt holding it on. Anyway, I took the thing off, and doused it with about two and a half cans of carb cleaner, and it looks a lot better. Every bit of the cleaner that came out was black as night. You can tell that it is a lot cleaner now. Does anybody know if I can completely strip it down and just let it soak in hot water or something? I won't have the parts that I need to put it back together for a few days now, so I thought I might as well do a really nice job of cleaning out all the crap in the intake system. So, can I take off the stuff that looks like vacume shit on the bottom, and any other shit, and just clean that crap out of there really nicely? Anyway, Thanks for all of the information, I would have had the thing towed to the dealer if I couldn't find that damn bolt. The real problem now is that I have about three or four bolts that I can't remember where they came from after ripping a bunch of stuff off in a frantic rush to get the manifold off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the dealer is about the best option for me. The only "trusted mechanics" in my town take about two months to get an appointment. The mechanic I used to go to I can't trust anymore. Two of my cars have never been the same since they have touched them. I had a ranger(86) and the replaced a clutch in it, and the damned engine was never as strong as it was before, and it was constantly breaking down. Next, they had to put about three water pumps in a Jeep, and then I had a 2gen Talon, and it got is infamous "crankwalk" were the bearings wear out very early, and cause the crank play to inceast from two thousands to about a quarter inch. Anyway, they replaced the crank, and bearings and everything, and it spun a rod bearing about two minutes after I got it back. Anyway, right after I got my MX, the thing started to die after I let off the acelerator. Anyway, I took it to a different place, and they were to call me after they were done inspecting, but they never did, so I went down there, and they were gone, but the car was done. So, I had to go back to my house, get my extra key and just take the car. So, I won't be going there again. Good mechanics are hard to find around here, that is why I's like like to do everything myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: UNICHIP

ricdanger said:
Hey Coenraad,

Hows the unichip? Do you have a before and after dyno?
Well i had one, but some how lost it showing it to friends and people at work. Before the unichip, the max bhp was 111 at 6500 rpm, after the unichip it was 117 bhp. I fitted a 57 mm free flow exhaust two weeks ago. Will have to have the unichip remapped to get the CO's right again and to really feel the effect of the free flow. Allready my fuel consumption went down. Got 12 km per litre with a reasonable bit of town driving. If u want, mail me at [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts