Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tax is up in a couple of days, MOT a week after that and insurance 2 weeks after that. Quite simply I can't afford my six anymore and no longer need a car. I'm certain the MOT would be no problem but I can't even afford the tax let alone insurance so it's gonna have to be stored.
Hopefuly my employment prospects will be looking up soon and i'l be able to afford to have her back for summer.
Anyway, to the point, any advice for storing her. I have no garage space so it's gonna have to be outside. Apart from airing and starting her regularly I can't think of anything.
Not planning to sell but still if you're interested, PM me with offers. She's 1997 P-Reg with private MAZ **** plate. Almost completely standard (a few shiny bits), leather, 95K, VGC. I'm not letting her go to any 17 old oik who will put a ironing board on the back and neon washer jets on the front.
Rubbish photos here:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117935

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
A good wash and polish with a good wax to protect the paint..
Check the antifreeze.. and Battery level
Try to run her for at least 20 minutes every couple of weeks... let the fan kick in twice... that way you know she's fully warmed up..

John

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you're able to, leave handbrake off, (but engine in gear) so the pads won't "weld" themselves to the rotors...........})

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mattsonthebeach said:
Just take it for a spin round the block, there's never any police in Whitchurch anyway ;)
I'd love to, sure it would bring a grin to my face but i'm not sure it's wise... sod's law seems to be following me at the moe.
Cheers for the advice fellas, gonna spent Saturday cleaning and Sunday taking photos.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Get a very good cover for it, make sure it's parked of the road. Start it up at least once a week. Remember that it takes on average, 10 mins of driving to replace the engery used to start a car. Make sure the fluids are good... if possible, flush and replace all the coolant system with a high concentrate of antifreeze.

Stick an air freshener in the car, it'll get stale otherwise.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
And just think of all the time you have to work on her.... cleaning, polishing, buffing, painting...

One luxury most of us don't have is time...

John

·
Registered
822 Posts
def a good wash and polish. oh and even if you leave the handbrake off, push it forward and back a foot or so every week, just stops any sticky brakes, even with the handbrake off!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
One huge piece of advice... When you park it up and leave the handbrake off... Make sure you leave it gear, for the opposite direction. If you park it forwards, put it in reverse, if you reverse park it, put in 3rd. That way, when you get in the car to start it up and forget to take it out of gear, it doesn't lurch towards the house/wall/garage. :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Hot Cheese said:
Hopefully my employment prospects will be looking up soon and i'l be able to afford to have her back for summer.
Best of luck with this HC, been there, done that, chucked the T-shirt away.

ifc

·
Registered
550 Posts
The advice about leaving the handbrake off AND moving her is very sound, I know from bitter experience.

If possible I would move her more than a foot or so, if possible and if you can park her a foot past where she was, that will help prevent flat spotting the tyre where it sits on the road.

You could always put her up on bricks, just enough to take the weight off the tyres, but then it's a PITA to move her evry other week.

Good luck with the job hunting.

·
Registered
822 Posts
lol Heckler you sound like a man with experiance!!! I remember once when i worked for a large finance 'house' in bournemouth i had to use the MD's car to go to the stroage warehouse.... he knew my driving by reputaion and was scared stiff. Mind you so was i!
So i got the keys went to the car park and saw him standing at the window staring at me...... i nervously smiled and waved. Got in the car, started it up and ........ bang! straight forward into the wall!!!!!!!! I wanted to die! luckily it was a huge Volvo 850T5R and so i treid again, reversed...... opened the window and shouted 'good bumpers!'
Strange how i kept my job?!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
richardb said:
Hot Cheese what do you do? Maybe some of us could pass some work your way?
I've just gone back to Uni so at the moment I don't really do anything except pay a fortune to be baffled regularly :freak:
The main problem is hours, it seems the only places that need people out of hours are supermarkets, bars etc and for now the thought of minimum wage doesn't appeal massivley.
On the plus side i've worked out why i've been screwing up one of my lab reports :idea: Only took me three weeks :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts