Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy an 88 mx-6 and I have some questions. It is a turbo car with 170,000.00 miles. Per the owner the engine was rebuilt 2 years ago. So here goes, 1) what do I need to look for as far as any problems, 2) what type of gas mileage do these get on average stock, 3) how much boost can the bottom end take stock, 4) On probe talk they say that after market parts are very limited. Is that true? Can you get an a/m intake, header, etc. 5) how does the trans hold up to a lot of boost. Thanks for the help. XXXXXXX

·
Registered
275 Posts
hello, 7X, I am going to try to answer some of these and leave the stuff I am unsure of to the others:

The bottom end of the F2T is well built utilizing very strong internals. Not sure exactly how much power they can take, but I do know that they can go up to 300 lb-ft of torque and about the same hp.

The transaxles are a rare breed. Some hold up, others don't. Hard to say how each one will do. I guess it really comes down to how well it has been taken care of. I have heard of some taking as much as 500hp/500 lb-ft torque and others failing at the 250hp/250 lb-ft torque mark.

Aftermarket parts are quite limited. A lot of items are custom made or modified from other vehicles. You can upgrade the turbo with the use of the T-bird hybrid. Unfortunately, you will not find any intakes available except for either a direct drop-in or the cone filter with VAF plate. There are no headers (this is actually the turbo manifold) available for the turbo models other than stock. The only headers available are for the non-turbo models.

I am not sure of the gas mileage for the turbo models. My F2 gets about 32 mpg on the highway and average about 275 mpg mixed per tank (usually refilling at 12 gallons on a 15.1 gallon tank).

Looking for problems: Most notable would be the boost (or lack there of). Tapping noise in the head is common (HLA's). The rest of the warning signs should be the same as for buying any used car.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Heres some advice. Assuming the engine was rebuilt well, focus on the tranny now. The shifter should be stiff with NO play at all. If there is play in it, replace the shifter bushings. Do a search in the 1st gen forums for "shifter bushings".

It hasn't been 100% pin pointed, but it seems like prolonged driving with bad bushings can lead to the shift gate (which controls the gear shift pattern) losing a nut, becoming lose and the gear pattern gets messed up. Like for example with my car, and others - 3rd gear relocates, as well as 5th and reverse.

Then then either, 6 days or months later down the line the tranny will eventually get stuck in gear. However, in terms of power this is a very strong tranny designed to take a lot of torque.

For gas milage stock, I used to get something between 300-350 per tank with 93 octane.

The bottom end is strong, I think how much boost it can take varies on its condition and a lot of other factors. The stock turbo can make up to 16 psi, though.

For modding, forget that for now. Give it a tune up first and do any maintence needed. Change the tranny fluid, too. A lot of folks neglect that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts