Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once my mom gets a different car, I'll probably buy the title for Old Faithful ('90 DX, as indicated below). Unfortunately, thanks to our brutal Great Lakes winters the head unit's LED display is shot and the speakers are on their last legs. Anyone know of a good head/speaker combo for a college kid on a budget?

G

·
Speaker Combo

You first have to consider a few things. 1. How much do you want to spend? 2. Do you want to keep the same brands all the way through? 3. Do you want more bass or more high end sound? 4. Your driving habits, windows open, etc.
I have Infinity Kappa Uniplane speakers in my 93. I love them, but they are very expensive almost $700 per pair. However, you could get Pioneer speakers and a head unit for under $400. The head unit is the most important part of the system. It can power your speakers, as well as powering an external amplifier. I would recommend the DEH-P5200. It only costs about $250 and it looks really good at night.
The speaker choice is up to you, but stick with the name brands: Infinity, Pioneer, MB Quartz, Kenwood.
If you have any questions, then post them under my system post. You can look at my system, which isn't on a college buget, but it may give you some ideas. Good Luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey What's up,

Yeah I have to agree with what whiteheat is saying. It all depends on what you want to spend. But there are alot of good head units out on the market now. I have a sony head unit. If you like you can also try getting a head unit thru auction sights. Some of the prices are reasonable you just have to make sure the person you are getting the product from is trust worthy. You can checkout my system in the my systems posts.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Speaker Combo

whiteheat said:
You first have to consider a few things. 1. How much do you want to spend?
As I'd stated, $400. Hey, I'm a college kid; not Rockefeller :cool:

2. Do you want to keep the same brands all the way through?
Nah, I'm not too concerned about that. I just wanna squeeze the most value out of my precious limited funds.

3. Do you want more bass or more high end sound?
That's kind of a toughie. I usually listen to alternative/hard rock when I drive, so I imagine I'd be looking for a balance of the two. However, it would be very nice to turn up the bas on some of the heavy low-range-sound songs (such as Ozzy & Primus' N.I.B.) and feel a bit of a rumbling in the seat of my pants :)

4. Your driving habits, windows open, etc.
I do quite a bit of freeway/high-speed country road driving, so whatever system I look at would have to overpower wind/tire noise fairly easily.

This is kind of off on a tangent, but I was intrigued at the mention in a Motor Trend article some years ago of a Kenwood head unit with a faceplate that retracted back into the unit a few cm, then was covered by a flip-down blank plate that made it appear as if the car had a radio delete. Anyone know anything about this?

You can look at my system, which isn't on a college buget, but it may give you some ideas. Good Luck!
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
In regards to that Kenwood deck!

Hey Apollo,

The Kenwood deck you're talking about is the flip face deck. When you turn off the power it flips and produces a flat black panel so it looks like theres nothing there. That's a pretty good deck, the newer decks now have a thing called ABP it stands for Active black panel. When your deck is off it just looks like a piece of black plastic. But when you turn it on a digital display lights up and your stereo begins to play. But the only companies that have this sort of deck right now is sony and jvc. Just thought I'd give you some info.

See Ya,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts